lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
green okie
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo sputtering

I have a 98 ezgo txt series drive 36 volt, that sputters when you push on the accelerator pedal.
I installed brand new batteries and replaced the curtis speed controller and new 2G cables. I've checked the connections on the motor, speed controller, solenoid, F/R switch. The solenoid clicks.
It still sputters when you push on the accelerator pedal. It acts like it has power for second then looses power, then power again, then losses power, etc..
Any ideas what could be causing this?
green okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: ezgo sputtering

Could be a motor brush issue. I would test the motor to see if it runs smoothly. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=110856
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
green okie
Not Yet Wild

Forgot to mention that it sputters in forward and reverse. Also on flat level ground it sputters but it sputters really bad on hills or inclines. I assume because it is under a load at that point.
I do have a spare used working motor I can switch out.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
green okie
Not Yet Wild

So switched out the motor and the cart still sputters. So it's not a motor related issue.
Visually inspected the pedal box and back tracked the wires and checked 4 pin molex connection. Everything visually looks good.
When the pedal is pushed the micro switch is engaging the solenoid.
When it sputters I can hear the solenoid clicking rapidly. It acts like it has power for second then looses power, then power again, then losses power. Each time the solenoid is clicking.
Is it possible the inductive throttle sensor is working intermittently or possibly the solenoid?
Old 04-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If the solenoid is chattering it could be getting to low a voltage to latch or its contacts might be worn out. With the cart on stands jumper the main lugs and see if the stuttering goes away. If yes change the solenoid.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
green okie
Not Yet Wild

kgsc,
First of all thank you very much for the help.
Let me make sure I understand what you are saying.
Put the cart on jack stands, disconnect the negative battery cable. Then use jumper wires from the batteries to the two large terminal studs on the solenoid. And the solenoid should only click once.
Is that correct?
Old 04-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

NO! That would be a direct short.. Run a jumper from the one large solenoid lug to the other large lug. This will act like closing the solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO