lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2021, 05:51 AM   #1
wingmanchris
Not Yet Wild

Talking Next steps in upgrading TXT

I have an 07 TXT PDS currently 36v. I’ve already installed Alltrax 500 controller/solenoid/cable kit from Scotty at CartsUnlimited back when I got the cart a few years ago.

The batteries are starting to get weak and will need to replaced soon. My plan is to upgrade to 48v with 6 new Trojans. I can pick up the 8v’s trojans for $130 a piece semi locally. The only other option would be going with a lithium kit but I’m not too sure about it and honestly haven’t researched in enough. At the same time I’m going to replace the motor and am currently decided on the Admiral B4 as my neighborhood has lots of hills and the added torque will be a huge help. Also plan on a lift and 22’ tires soon so again, the B4 should help with that. Is the Admiral B4 the best choice for my situation?

Also, I see plenty of used 48v TXT charges available locally and was planing on picking one up and changing out the port to match. Will this charger work well enough or is there a better option with optimal battery life in mind? I’d like to be one of those guys boasting about the crazy long life cycle of their Trojans

Only other upgrades planned are adding in a voltage reducer for a few led lights and a bluetooth receiver/amp and some speakers.
wingmanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #2
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Next steps in upgrading TXT

You might want to check into the NAvitas 600 AMP AC conversion kit for the TXT. It is a turn key solution for the 48V TXT (you have already all the needed parts) and gives massive torque and speed plus more range because of greater efficiency of the AC motor. I put a kit in mine and couldn't be happier. Their customer service is top notch as well and you have on-board and bluetotth adjustment of the controller at your fingertips. My TXT runs 35 mph on flat ground and still 20 - 25 mph up steep hills.
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I would wait to see the increase in performance of the 36v motor you get with the 48volts. From what I hear, it's going to be about a 33% increase in speed and torque from what you are used to. You may be satisfied with it.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
wingmanchris
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I would wait to see the increase in performance of the 36v motor you get with the 48volts. From what I hear, it's going to be about a 33% increase in speed and torque from what you are used to. You may be satisfied with it.
I thought the stock motor won’t last very long when running 48v?
Old 06-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I haven't seen that the motor won't last long...I've seen where the electronics will eventually burn out but you've replaced them.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmanchris View Post
I thought the stock motor won’t last very long when running 48v?
It's amps not volts that a stock PDS motor can't handle. Use a 400A or smaller controller, or turn a larger controller down to 400A and a PDS motor will last about as long as it would have with a stock controller on 36V, maybe longer since the same work is done with fewer amps with 48V then with 36V.

If you run taller than stock height (18") tires, the stock motor won't last very long with 36V or 48V since it takes more amps to turn taller tires. Same issue with a rear seat.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #7
wingmanchris
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It's amps not volts that a stock PDS motor can't handle. Use a 400A or smaller controller, or turn a larger controller down to 400A and a PDS motor will last about as long as it would have with a stock controller on 36V, maybe longer since the same work is done with fewer amps with 48V then with 36V.

If you run taller than stock height (18") tires, the stock motor won't last very long with 36V or 48V since it takes more amps to turn taller tires. Same issue with a rear seat.
@JohnnieB
Ok that makes sense. I knew I had it in my head that I should upgrade the motor when upgrading to 48v, I just couldn't remember why. I researched all my options a couple years ago when I purchased the cart, now it’s all coming back to me.

I’ll be swapping the batteries in the next couple weeks. In the very near future I will be lifting the cart and installing 22” tires. So with your recommendation, confirming what I was planning with my previous research, I will be upgrading the motor at the same time as I convert to 48v with the new batteries.

With the larger tires, added passengers, and the fact that the cart sees some decent hills on a regular basis, I’m in the market for a motor with torque in mind. Top speed is not a major concern, I’m happy with 18-20mph on flat ground. What really interests me is maintaining speed when pulling hills as much as possible. From what I have read, the Admiral B4 seems like the best choice unless I’m missing something.

I’m also doing some research on chargers. I want to find the best 48v charger that will help prolong the life of my batteries. I do see plenty of used EZGO 48v chargers for sale locally.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you can lay your hands on a Gen-III DPI Accusense 48V charger that does float charging after the regular charge cycle ends, it would be the best way to extend the lifespan of your new batteries.

The higher the average SoC maintained, the longer the batteries last and recharging after each use plus being on float charge maximizes the average SoC.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO