lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2021, 06:08 AM   #1
Tykirchh
Not Yet Wild

Default Aftermarket voltage regulator problems

Hey guys so this one has me stumped. I’m working on a 1998 ezgo txt pds system. I have brand new batteries, charger, alltrax 500 controller (not turned up super high, only to where I am running around 19mph), new stock motor, all new heavy duty wires, heavy duty solenoid and everything in between. Also installed a stereo system and headlight/taillight kit. I bought a 48v-12v voltage regulator that runs to a new fuse panel for my 12v accessories. When I run the cart for about a mile non stop or just riding around for 30 minutes the cart will stop and just hesitate to run as if the motor locked up or I had dead cells in the battery pack. I disconnected the main power to the voltage regulator and it seems to run just fine… the voltage regulator is output current 30a , out power 360w. Is this just too strong of a voltage regulator and drawing too much from the battery pack?
Tykirchh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Aftermarket voltage regulator problems

What is the make/model of the batteries?
What is the make/model of the charger?

The symptoms do sound like the battery pack lacks the storage capacity to run the cart and the 12V accessories for as long as you desire, so the questions are:
1. Is the charger fully charging the battery pack?
2. Is the battery pack undersized for the application?
3. Is there a failure in the batteries, voltage reducer, charger or other system?

You said new batteries and new batteries only have about 75% of their rated capacity until they are broken in, so some of the issue may just be the newness of the batteries.

The voltage reducer only draws about 8A @ 48V while putting out 30A @ 12V, while the motor averages 100A or more, so if using the voltage reducer is the straw that breaks the camel's back, it isn't much of a camel to start with.

Are you running stock height (18") tires, or oversized?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
Tykirchh
Not Yet Wild

I am running big low profile tires I believe they are 20”
Old 07-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #4
Tykirchh
Not Yet Wild

They are interstate batteries and I can’t think of the name of the charger but it was not cheap it’s pretty big and bulky and charging to a full charge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO