lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
bscill
Not Yet Wild

Default 2012 Ezgo RXV 48 Volt 3rd motor brake fried

I have a 2012 Ezgo RXV 48v cart that has had 3 motor brakes installed. The oem motor brake let go about 45 days ago. We replaced it with a new one and it lasted about 30 days and it fried. We just put a new one on last week and no driving the cart until this weekend. We were playing golf and got in 6 holes and I could tell the cart was getting slower, then we smelled what seemed to be electrical again. It was the motor brake again, fried another one. Does anyone know what could be causing the issue with this please, thanks...
bscill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2012 Ezgo RXV 48 Volt 3rd motor brake fried

How much torque are you putting on the 3 bolts?
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #3
bscill
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
How much torque are you putting on the 3 bolts?
Hand tight but not much force at all
Old 08-09-2021, 10:46 PM   #4
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's been said here only use the OEM brake and not the heavy duty one or cheaper after market ones because they don't last if they work at all. Maybe someone knows and will post up where to find the OEM brake other than EZGO. Last I checked their up to $420, ouch.
Follow the instructions at the link for proper install.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ke+replacement
Most of the braking is done by regen, partially press the pedal and the controller tells the cart to slow down. Stomp on the pedal as in a emergency the parking brake engages. You only get a few emergency stops out of a brake before they're shot.
Other than that I don't know what else could cause failure so often. Good luck.
SBIRD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
bscill
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys, the last 2 I tried were not oem parts, will try oem this time.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #6
rngilliland
Gone Wild

The key to making the motor brake last is the way it is installed. I has to be released when you tighten the bolts. That lets the brake disc align correctly. The bolts have to be in good condition. No corrosion or damage to the bolt. The pressure plate in the brake slides on the bolts and has to move freely. Only tighten to 30 or 40 in/lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench, only tighten until the lock washers are compressed and then maybe a quarter turn more.

Only use an OEM brake. It looks like EZGO has changed their OEM brake. It is now part # 617766. I have only used the old part number 610065. The new one is a lot more expensive. I would use the old part number brake if you can find one.

The best prices I have found are on Ebay, but you have to make sure you are getting an OEM brake instead of aftermarket.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Countrycat offers OEM Ezgo parts, the brake actually is 393$, not much netter...
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO