lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Can you recognize this part?

Hey brothers... need some knowledge please.

I've got a 46v Shuttle I'm restoring. When dealing with the Curtis Controller and Soleniod wiring, I ran into this little fella (see image). Each end of this doohicky has a male connector (now rusted out). One male connector end ran a 16awg wire to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. The other male connector end of this doohicky ran a 16awg wire to the 400a fuse, which fuse then connected to the + side of the 48v battery.

I've include a picture of both the little fella and also a diagram of how it was wired. I think its a resistor, but if it is a resistor, do I just purchase another 48v resistor or something?

Thanks - nzezgo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Part x.jpg (374.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Part doohicky.jpg (164.8 KB, 0 views)
nzezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Can you recognize this part?

The way it's in the circuit I would think it might be a precharge resistor but it really doesn't look like one.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

This is a part from a 2008 shuttle... so consider the era it came from. I have been looking at a few wiring diagrams. Could this be a resistor, like the one that goes between the two large connectors on the Solenoid? If it is a resistor, what size resistor should I purchase?

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Like I said above I believe it's a "Precharge Resistor". Not sure what value you need but any cart shop can supply you with one.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Look up a manual online for your Curtis Controller … the manual may mention what size of pre-charge resistor is required. For example, my 600 amp Curtis Controller manual recommends a 250 ohm resistor … yet Alltrax recommends a 470 ohm resistor for it higher amperage series controllers.

It certainly does not look like a conventional cylinder shaped resistor … try putting your ohm meter across it and see if you can measure any resistance.

You also need to check how your key switch is wired. Your diagram shows the key switch is connected to both the coil activation post (which is correct) and also to the main high amp post of the solenoid (which is not correct). The Curtis manual indicates the key switch should be wired back to the controller to connection J1-1.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Looks like an automotive resistor that someone used because they couldn’t get the right one. Called a ballast resistor. 48 volt cart usually uses a 470 ohm resistor 10 watts
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 84B8826F-DD5F-457C-A609-3B1967973710.jpeg (15.9 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Automotive use for that kind of resistor is on old points ignition systems - called a ballast resistor. It limits the current to the coil and prolongs points life. (Haven't worked on a points car in a long time though!)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Looks like an automotive resistor that someone used because they couldn’t get the right one. Called a ballast resistor. 48 volt cart usually uses a 470 ohm resistor 10 watts
Everybody I knew that drove an old Dodge, way too many years ago always carried a spare resistor. Saved more than one walk home.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #9
nzezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone... super helpful!! I'll search out the manual for a resistor size recommendation. Do you think I can just connect the resistor between the two main high amp post on the solenoid rather than the way it is wired now between the fuse and one of the high amp posts?
Old 09-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

470 ohm 10 watt and yes you can put it on the main lugs.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO