lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
Phil0411
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: From 36v to 42v conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
I did the conversion several years ago. I bought a heavy duty solenoid from ScottyB that would work on 36 to 48 volts and that's the only thing I bought, other than an extra battery and a new charger. It made it a much stronger cart. Mine has 22" tires and is used mostly in the woods.

The factory motor eventually started getting hot on hard trips. I carried a laser thermometer and and read 240 degrees on the motor casing a couple of times. It's very possible that running it on 42 had nothing to do with that, and I was just working the motor too hard.

At any rate, I decided to get an Admiral motor and that solved all the issues. Good luck with it.
When you changed the solenoid, did you need a different resistor/diode setup or how does that work? I would like to get it right the first time and keep using the 42 volt setup and make it really dependable.
Phil0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #12
Phil0411
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The Western carts used 48v controllers and solenoids. Most solenoids will handle under voltage better (longer) than over voltage.
Assuming I do upgrade my solenoid, what do I really need? What model solenoid (MZJ-400A?) and if I do go that route, what resistor and/or diode would I need to use? I would like to do this much right away, but unsure as even on your website the 42 volt option isn't mentioned as an option.
Phil0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:26 AM   #13
silverad0
Not Yet Wild

I have a 2006 PDS Western 36v cart running on 42v. This past weekend I just installed a 48v RoyPow and everything works....except it doesn't move. After checking a few things, I put the controller in diagnostic mode and it gave an over-voltage code. (I suppose it can handle 48v but not 52v). Now I think my only real options are Navitas or Alltrax DC controller and maybe also have to replace the motor later with a 48v DC (if it cooks the 36V one)..or...just convert to 48V AC now.
silverad0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:26 AM   #14
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil0411 View Post
When you changed the solenoid, did you need a different resistor/diode setup or how does that work? I would like to get it right the first time and keep using the 42 volt setup and make it really dependable.
The resistor value it tied to the voltage, but with a 6v difference I don't know how critical that could be. I know the resistor is different on 36v vs 48v.

As for the solenoid I have a completely different cart but similar situation (in theory). I have a 48v cart that I run at as much as 57.6v. My stock 48v solenoid lasted 2.5 or 3 years after I converted, but to be fair it was already 7 years old when I converted to lithium... So it could be that a decade was all the service it could handle. Anyway, I upgraded to an HD 48v solenoid from Scotty and it's been working fine since. I'm only 1.5 to 2 years in on the HD solenoid (I guess) but it's working fine... And I'm using the 48v resistor too, I never changed it to handle higher V.

Here's what I'd recommend. Buy the HD solenoid. Run your current solenoid and don't worry about it. When the HD gets here, put it in and don't worry about it. It will fail in a decade. I'm OK with that but if you aren't create a reminder on your PC to replace it in 9 years. I'd run the 36v resistor but if you're worried about it JohnnieB posted somewhere how to calculate the correct value for a different V solenoid.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:32 AM   #15
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverad0 View Post
I have a 2006 PDS Western 36v cart running on 42v. This past weekend I just installed a 48v RoyPow and everything works....except it doesn't move. After checking a few things, I put the controller in diagnostic mode and it gave an over-voltage code. (I suppose it can handle 48v but not 52v). Now I think my only real options are Navitas or Alltrax DC controller and maybe also have to replace the motor later with a 48v DC (if it cooks the 36V one)..or...just convert to 48V AC now.
Silverad0, it is better to start a new thread than tag onto the back of an older one. But if it were me I'd suggest getting an Alltrax controller from Scotty B. Running lithium with an Alltrax controller all at higher V than you had with lead acid will be a lot better performance. I'd imagine you will have everything you want with that. I have the Alltrax 300/360 amp controller. Even though I am running a higher V than you, I still think the performance increases you'll see will be plenty. What are you attempting to achieve? What are your performance goals and that will help us tell you what you need to get there.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:34 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Our 36/48 volt SW180 is perfectly engineered for 42v operation. It actually has a 42v coil which allows it to operate on 36 to 48v and stay within it's 20% voltage tolerance. I don't see any benefit of 250 vs 470 ohm precharge resistor in the 42v application. If using the Alltrax XCT controller it does the precharge internally - so no worries, just put the bigger 3 amp voltage suppression diode on the solenoid coil.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO