lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #21
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 sputter& die

Hahaha.

I doubt it. The starters don't have the kick to engage the clutches. It's possible if the clutch is sticky or the belt is a little to small it may bump it forward a bit, but not enough to go anywhere. Or you've got one hell of abattery in there.

Check your battery first. Do you have a multimeter, hydrometer, 12V load tester? Hydrometers are cheap and any auto store will have them. Assuming it's a lead acid battery. Harbor frieght has fairly cheap 12V load testers.

I prefer to use the Optima yellow tops. Good CCA, Good AMP Hours, Zero maintinance (short of keeping a good charge), very stronge charging characteristics. You can dump 30amps into these and they don't mind a bit.
ace_ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #22
Ronniet
Not Yet Wild

I have a Milton I will check the battery with when the rain lets up.
I didn't know the generator/starter would not pull it.
No the belt is correct and good shape and the clutch works good.
I had the cover off the other day checking it out and all the "dogs" were loose and not sticking, I gave it a few shots of grease.
I may have a loose connection some where, it has new cable ends on it , and the battery has been really good.
Its has been wet out and raining , that may have lead to something shorting out?
Ron
Ronniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #23
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The rain should cause a failure on it's own. These carts are pretty resistant to getting wet. First things first start with the batt. If it's dead try charging it then test it.

Let us know what you find.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #24
ace_ripper
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Oops... That should have read "The rain SHOULDN'T cause a failure on it's own.".

BTW ~ I'm married of 15 years and have 3 daughters so I feel your pain when asking them "what did it do before it died?" It always ends with me turning wrench. ;^)
Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

if the battery is fine (12+ volts) just try cleaning the battery post connections, i've had this sort of thing happen to my g9, and spend lotts of time running through the wiring only to find the batt connections just needed to be cleaned.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
if the battery is fine (12+ volts) just try cleaning the battery post connections, i've had this sort of thing happen to my g9, and spend lotts of time running through the wiring only to find the batt connections just needed to be cleaned.
Good point! Where you been?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #27
Ronniet
Not Yet Wild

When it quit raining I checked it, the top of the battery has kind of a low are about it ( its a Napa Dual post unit with a built in carry handle in the middle.)
It was level full of water and the whole top of the battery was wet.
My Milton say the battery was hot and good.
So I dried up all the water and checked the posts , ( I just put new cable ends on it and the battery when I got it about 2 or 3 months ago) they were clean but I cleaned them again.
It started right up?
I didn't try to start it until I cleaned the battery and dried it out so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Do you think the water was shorting out the battery?
I cut some plastic and with a bungee cord I secured it around the top of the battery.
It still needs a coil I am pretty sure.
Ron
Ronniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha