lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
wtkns74
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Help!!

First let me say i'm a newbie. I bought an old G1 which ran great for about 6 months. About a month ago i was out on a ride and stopped to let my son play at the park. When i got back on cart and drove it, it had hardly any power. It barely made it up a slight hill. It will go, but very slow with hardly any power. It just happened all the sudden, ran fine then loss of power. The only thing i did to try to fix was new spark plug and fuel filter. That did nothing to help. I would like to try to troubleshoot this myself without taking it to a shop. I'm not mechanically inclined, so keep that in mind when replying. I'm willing to learn and try things myself so i just wanted to state that as i will probably need detailed advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, i just wanted to add that it seems to run a little better if i barely give it any gas, putting pedal all the way down seems to have no effect. Thanks
wtkns74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkns74 View Post
First let me say i'm a newbie. I bought an old G1 which ran great for about 6 months. About a month ago i was out on a ride and stopped to let my son play at the park. When i got back on cart and drove it, it had hardly any power. It barely made it up a slight hill. It will go, but very slow with hardly any power. It just happened all the sudden, ran fine then loss of power. The only thing i did to try to fix was new spark plug and fuel filter. That did nothing to help. I would like to try to troubleshoot this myself without taking it to a shop. I'm not mechanically inclined, so keep that in mind when replying. I'm willing to learn and try things myself so i just wanted to state that as i will probably need detailed advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, i just wanted to add that it seems to run a little better if i barely give it any gas, putting pedal all the way down seems to have no effect. Thanks
You didn't mention what year, but look for..the throttle shaft moveing when you press the accelerator pedal. Could be a broken accelerator cable. More likley the exhaust valve linkage has a "joint" that popped off. Can you post some pix's?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
wtkns74
Not Yet Wild

Not sure what year it is. What would you like me to post pics of? I also noticed it will make a clicking sound and hesitate when i have pedal pushed down while driving
Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
wtkns74
Not Yet Wild

The cart is an 81
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Rosati
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Does it run better with the choke pulled about halfway?
It could be crankshaft seals failing.
Rosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Check to be sure the exhaust valve hasn't flopped shut and is restricting the exhaust. The exhaust valve is a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe just outside of the cylinder head. It is operated by linkages to your throttle. These linkages can wear and break, allowing the valve to flop around at will and close off the exhaust when it should be wide open. Disconnect the linkage at the valve and wire the valve wide open to see if that is your problem.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
wtkns74
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!!! You guys nailed it. Problem fixed. The exhaust valve linkage joint was broke. I just used a twist tie to hold open the valve. Is there any harm any doing that? Or should i order the parts and fix right?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The exhaust gets hot. if you used a plastic tie it will melt. Use a piece of bare metal wire to hold it open. Some people take the exhaust apart, remove the valve and weld the shaft holes shut. The purpose of the exhaust valve was to make the engine run smoother and quieter at part throttle. That might be important if you are putt-putting between holes on the golf course, but we tend to be more of the full-throttle type around here.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
wtkns74
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I 'm just using cart for me and my son to cruise around neighborhood so noise isn't a problem. It already seems pretty loud in general compared to my buddies cart His is newer though. Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB74 View Post
Check to be sure the exhaust valve hasn't flopped shut and is restricting the exhaust. The exhaust valve is a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe just outside of the cylinder head. It is operated by linkages to your throttle. These linkages can wear and break, allowing the valve to flop around at will and close off the exhaust when it should be wide open. Disconnect the linkage at the valve and wire the valve wide open to see if that is your problem.
Isn't that what I said?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha