lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: More Clutch and Belt Questions

Thanks sho... I appreciate the input. I put 2 pumps of grease in the grease fitting on the primary. Is there anything else that I should do to lub it? I'll check to see if the clutch continues to move after the engine stops, but I'll have to do it tomorrow, because I'm at work. Thanks
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They say no. When I do mine about once a year I take cover off and spray it with brake clean (only if it needs it). Then I have some superlube http://www.super-lube.com/ and I squirt just a little on each pin/weight pivot. The stuff attracts less dust/dirt and works like a chain lube not really like grease that is heavy. Because those pins do wear out running dry, but will wear out faster if they have oil on them and fill with dirt. Anyway, it does not seem to get dirty inside the way I use it. But I find that if I run the cart a lot I might have to put grease in the zerk once a month to keep it working right, a half or one pump is all. When its apart, I put a couple in or until it comes out, then clean off the extra grease after I move it in/out by hand. You don't want grease flying around or on belt that is very important.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #13
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks again sho. I'm getting off of work this morning, and I'm going to check into this more. I'll take the cover off and look around. I can get some super lube at the auto parts store if needed. I'll let you know what happens. I'm still not sure if I need to take the secondary apart, but I'll start with the primary. Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The basics you are looking at are the bushing in each, you grease them but limited you don't want extra grease on belt. Then on the secondary you have the ramps and spring, you can check those visually most issues are the pads on the ramps going bad. The primary you have the weights/rollers whatever it uses, they can have problems have to take cover off and inspect for flat rollers or broken weights or links or pins. Aside from the belt wearing there is rarely more to it.

If cart creeps the belt is grabbing at idle either its sticky or the clutch is not releasing because of dirt or broken parts. It should freely fall away from the belt at rest.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Thanks again. I didn't get to look at the cart yet because I got overtime at the fire department...for the holidays I couldn't turn it down. But, I will definitely let you know what I find when I can look at it. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #16
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

One other thing that can happen on older/high mile carts is the alum sheaves can wear holes right through them from dirt on the belt, dust, etc. They dish out and don't shift as well, then the holes will tear the belt right apart once it breaks through. Had a guy kept running his eventually the entire secondary sheave broke right off one day. I replaced both sheaves as half of each clutch was steel on this G9. Of course I put a cut sheave on the secondary lol.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
Mike D
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'll look into that as well. I didn't see anything excessive with the sheaves, but I'll double check it as soon as I can. Thanks again sho.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha