lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid/OBC problem 1996 CC 48v

There both controlled by the OBC. One is in the charging circuit one is not, but the OBC controls both.
I was referring to this statement and explaining the two different circuits the OBC has control of.
He jumped the cart relay not the charger relay so charging should not be hampered

shadowman

well thats an indication of a bad OBC ...............only thing is your charger isn,t going to shut off you ,ll have to keep close watch on it.......do i recomend running it like that no......but i have never seen it hurt a cart other than charger..............................
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #22
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

fellas; just checked and after 3 hours the charge amps went down to 3 amps, then at 3 hours and 15 minutes the charger shut off - so I think the charger is working ok and either the OCB is controlling the charging rate or the charger is independent of the OCB. Charger by the way is original Power Drive supplied with the cart.
GeraldW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #23
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

The OBC controls charging it is bad but only the lock out function, stops cart from moving with charger plugged in.
I had a person drive out of the gas station a few months back with the gas hose still hanging out of the tank, so don't make that mistake unless you have a very long extension cord.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #24
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Explanation

Motor could easily draw 100 amps with a stock setup charger is good for 15 amps do the math and you see the charger could be fried by doing this (maybe on jackstands for testing) so they made a failsafe lockout !!

Maybe just set the charger on the floorboard in front of the Go Pedal
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes jumping from soleniod to to batt #6 neg. is a 1 of a few symptons of a bad OBC but there are no soleniods in a charger and a cart with a bad soleniod will still take a charge and charger will in fact shut off soleniod has nothing to do with charging system on a 1 or 2 soleniod cart.....the 2nd soleniod is for the regenitive braking.........i,m trying to figure what they have to do with the OBC.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #26
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
yes jumping from soleniod to to batt #6 neg. is a 1 of a few symptons of a bad OBC but there are no soleniods in a charger and a cart with a bad soleniod will still take a charge and charger will in fact shut off soleniod has nothing to do with charging system on a 1 or 2 soleniod cart.....the 2nd soleniod is for the regenitive braking.........i,m trying to figure what they have to do with the OBC.................................
I think terminology is the issue, the "solenoid" in the charger is more commonly called a relay, which is also a switching device (same but differant).
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

OHhhhhhhhhhhh, that's what has been confusing us all A relay ~ yes! We are all familiar with the relay(s) in the chargers
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #28
GeraldW
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for sorting all this out for me - a very grateful new member
Gerald
GeraldW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #29
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm Sorry didn't mean to confuse anyone there all relays, I could see it fine in my head !!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #30
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok Im a fool

a relay is a relay
a solenoid is a relay
so why isn't a relay a solenoid ???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car