lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
juleshockey6
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new motor

ya it doesnt have a controller.... so if i want to make it faster make it a 48?
juleshockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Scotty...rsion_Kit.html
This is exactly what you want, 48 volts will burn out the controller. If your batteries are good it costs less also. Look at the packages that include a controller and make a decision.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It's a good idea to change your cart to a controller with one of ScottyB's conversion kits. It will give you better run time. His prices are good and service even better.

If you are on a budget and just looking for about 15%-20% more speed just get a Plum Quick rebuild on your motor for $225.

A 48v conversion on your cart $wise is not for the faint of heart, I'm thinking $1500+ for everything you'd need.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

PQ bandit motor will get you 2-3 mph more speed but torque will be reduced which I think will be a problem with this cart. The 48v upgrade is by far the biggest bang for the buck I know of. You get about a 30% increase in speed and torque by running the old 36v motor on 48 volts. Look around on the site ~ Lots of guys doing it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
PQ bandit motor will get you 2-3 mph more speed but torque will be reduced which I think will be a problem with this cart. The 48v upgrade is by far the biggest bang for the buck I know of. You get about a 30% increase in speed and torque by running the old 36v motor on 48 volts. Look around on the site ~ Lots of guys doing it.
He'll need a controller conversion, too, 48 volts will burn up that resistor. First start with 4 ga cables, scotty's conversion package, and a new controller. Any controller (as long as it is series, not sepex) will be compatible with your old motor, as long as they are not too powerful. 400 amps is a safe limit, don't go anything over 500 without a motor upgrade. Converting to controller will net you increased speed, and you will have a big increase in run time. no matter how much you push the pedal, a resistor cart is always using full power. Controllers limit current flow by flashing power (do research if you want to know about it, it is a bit complicated to explain here), resistors limit it by turning power into heat.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary Golf Carts View Post
He'll need a controller conversion, too, 48 volts will burn up that resistor. First start with 4 ga cables, scotty's conversion package, and a new controller. Any controller (as long as it is series, not sepex) will be compatible with your old motor, as long as they are not too powerful. 400 amps is a safe limit, don't go anything over 500 without a motor upgrade. Converting to controller will net you increased speed, and you will have a big increase in run time. no matter how much you push the pedal, a resistor cart is always using full power. Controllers limit current flow by flashing power (do research if you want to know about it, it is a bit complicated to explain here), resistors limit it by turning power into heat.
Changing from resistor coils to ESC (electronic speed control) will not increase your speed in a series wound motor system... WOT (wide open throttle) is WOT no matter how you get there. What is does do is eliminates the power losses and waste of the coils burning off un-used or un-called for amperage. This increases run time. And the controller system opens the door to all the modern performance improvements like big tires and aftermarket speed motors.
I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Lightbulb Re: new motor

For the old coil carts to be faster you will need the battery updates as stated. Updating to 48 volts normally will work fine on your cart but the coils and swiper board may not depending on what kind of shape they are in. The swiper is what lets the juice flow to the motor and coils. They need to be in tip top shape.
swipper:

coils:

If you want the full range of torque and speed out of the motor I say do the swap to a controller. You will be impressed with what you find once the cart is swaped over even on your motor you have now.
If you go to 48 volts send them your 36 volt motor and have it done.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
juleshockey6
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

soo i need to convert from a resisitor to a controller? is it difficult? how much am i looking at?
juleshockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO