lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
cbordea
Getting Wild

Default Re: 91 EZGo won't go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Patience is a virtue.
Especially when it comes to charging Golf Cart batteries.

Hopefully, your new batteries will get fully charged before they are used much more.
The first charge, collectively or individually, will probably take 12 hours or more.
The back-up timer on a Automatic shut-off type 36V charger might terminate the charge before the battery pack is fully charged, so restart it.
If they were fully charged, the charger will shut off in a half hour or less, if they weren't, it will continue until they are.

Just curious, but how did you determine the batteries reached a plateau at about 70% while charging?

Having to push the pedal two or three times to get it started sounds like you might have something loose or some dirty contacts in the solenoid activation circuit.
With the Key Switch turned ON and the F/R control in F or R, the solenoid should close every time the pedal is pushed.
I expect we didn't run the cart 10 minutes before hooking it up to the charger, just enough to know it was basically working.

my 6/12V charger has a digital battery meter on it.
For my marine batteries it is pretty good at measuring how well they are charged.
When I hooked the cart charger up last night about 9pm it was charging at almost 30amps, when I went back out a little while later it was just over 20 amps. This morning I went out (10hrs later) and it was charging at about 4 amps. I'll check it again in a few minutes and if it is off I'll disconnect it and re-connect it to make sure it didn't auto shutoff before it was fully charged.

I'll take a look at the connections and the contacts to see what might be going on with the pedal.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
cbordea
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Check the micro switch arm on the pot itself. Make sure the arm is straight and is making good contact with the throttle linkage. I have seen them bent and causing this condition.
come to think of it the throttle arm does seem a little bent. it appears that part of it should be making contact when the pedal is not pressed but it isn't making contact. It almost seems like the cart is barely wanting to move when the pedal is not pressed. I'll look at it again and maybe take a picture.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbordea View Post
..............my 6/12V charger has a digital battery meter on it.
For my marine batteries it is pretty good at measuring how well they are charged.
-----
When I hooked the cart charger up last night about 9pm it was charging at almost 30amps, when I went back out a little while later it was just over 20 amps. This morning I went out (10hrs later) and it was charging at about 4 amps................
Ever compared the meter on your 6/12V charger to a State of Charge vs Terminal voltage chart or the Specific Gravity?
This one is for deep cycle Golf Cart Batteries, but marine batteries are closer to golf cart batteries than car batteries, so it should be pretty close for them also.
Note: The voltages on the chart are after batteries have rested at least 6 hours after charging, or at least 15 minutes after use.
-----
Sounds like your batteries were pretty low. 30A is the upper end of the charge rate for a 225 Ah battery (I'm guessing that is what you got. )
Since it dropped down to 20A and is now at 4A, they seem to be charging okay.
They will stay in the gassing phase for a long time, so keep an eye on the electrolyte level.
Which 36V charger you using?

Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 4 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
cbordea
Getting Wild

JohnnieB, I am using a Lestronic II charger. I said it started at 30amps but I might not have been entirely accurate, it was up over 20amps, likely around 25 would be my best guess. The charger shuts off when the batteries are charged. I'll unplug the charger and plug it back in and it will run for a few minutes and shut off as expected.

as far as the specific gravity, I'm not familiar with that and don't have a meter to check. Is that the old suction type gauges where you used to pull in a little electrolyte to check for dead cells etc? they have a little float/ball in them kind of like you use to check your antifreeze?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The Lestronic II is a good charger.
Built like a tank and everything is repairable or replaceable, but if the transformer goes, a replacement transformer cost almost as much as comparable replacement charger.
I've got manuals if needed.

If the batteries are deeply discharged, it could jump to 30A, but it shouldn't stay there more than 15 minutes before it tapers off to 25 or less.
If the batteries are near full charge, it will only jump up to about 10 and taper down from there.

The initial charge rate is current limited by the ingenious transformer/capacitor design and when battery voltage begins to rise, current reduces accordingly.
Almost impossible to harm batteries with it unless somebody bypassed the on/off relay.

As for measuring Specific Gravity, The old floating ball type hydrometers aren't accurate enough, or at least hard to read and use since you have to adjust for temperature manually.
Best to get a temperature compensated digital battery hydrometer.

I just figured you already had one for your marine batteries.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
cbordea
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
....Best to get a temperature compensated digital battery hydrometer.

I just figured you already had one for your marine batteries.
I just keep my marine batteries charged up most of the time. In the off season I hook them up every few weeks and during the warmer months they are hooked to the charger most of the time.

I just add distilled water to them when they get low and when they stop holding a charge as long as I need I replace them.

I've found I have a bad wheel bearing, going to go research that a bit now. I might have a new thread in a few. Thanks for all your help on my electrical problems. I'll keep digging into my issue about having to press the pedal a few times but the bearing is a bigger problem right now.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Just treat your cart batteries as well as you treat your marine batteries and they'll be okay.

I not into the mechanical stuff much, but there are a couple threads on replacing wheel bearings on the forum.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
cbordea
Getting Wild

thanks Johnnie B, I found how to pull the axle, now just need to find out which bearing and where to get it. I opened a separate thread for that to make it easier for future searchers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO