lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: trojan t-45 vs deka gc10 for range increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
That is a good speed for a stock controller and wires on a stock motor. I would see what the charger is doing when it's charging stay with it and watch it over the full cycle. If you are driving the cart everytime till it starts blinking this may damage the battery over the long haul. New batteries getting deep discharges doesn't promote long life for the battery. On a good set of T-105 trojans I have gotten over 20 miles at Myrtle beach SC on flat ground all pavement riding. Running 23" tires @ 24 MPH.
I don't get anywhere near that obviously, I have checked the voltage after it sits and it is right up there 38.? I have a long top and rear seat lift kit 22.5 tires, charger seems fine and the batteries are through break in period, it looks like upgrades are in order, but I want to go incrementally, batteries first I don't know if I should upgrade to 48v know, if I do thats 2-3 grand with wires, controller, batteries etc.
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #12
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I was to do all the upgrades what to buy and where to get them

Batteries
motor
controller
wires
brakes (mechanical rear discs ok)

Thanks for all your help, I am still trying to learn to reply to ind. threads.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Scotty probably has empirical data on the difference in run-time between T-105 and T-145 batteries and I don't, but the published difference in discharge minutes between the two is 30, which is 26%.
(@ 75A Rate: T-105 = 115, T-145 = 145, Deka GC10 = 105 and Deka GC45 = 145)
Your cart is obviously drawing a lot of Amps, so the Peukert effect is high, but even with a factor of 1.6, you ought to get about 15% more run time.

Technical gibberish aside, 27 MPH tells me your tires are over 25" tall or you are revving your stock motor over 4,500 RPM.
Care to share a little more information about the cart?
Is it a PDS or Series?
What size Tires?
What Controller?
What gauge cables?
What is the battery voltage is before and after.
Is 6-7 miles one way or round trip?

Even if it is one way, 14 miles on a full charge seems like a mighty short distance for a full charge to me, but my cart is a stock PDS that only does 18 MPH. YMMV.

Like Scotty said, you won't get your batteries up to full storage capacity until they have been broken-in properly.

Also might be that your charger isn't actually fully charging them.
What is the battery voltage 6-12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically? Should be 38.2V or so.
Tires 22.5 atv
motor, charger, wires controller stock.
battery voltage 38 or so after
6-7 miles is roundtrip
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I read this twice and can't find what drive system you have, Series or PDS? Maybe I missed it?

Drive time is an equation of a few factors. Primary factors are:
1. amperage storage capacity. Buy the heaviest battery you can afford. US, Crown, Trojan, are all good. But there are different sizes (capacities rated in amp hours aka ah) to learn when shopping.
2. vehicle weight. Toss out the dead weight.
3. resistance. check breaks and bearings to see the cart rolls freely, sufficient tire air pressure is critical. As is wind resistance.
4. driving habits. Hard stop and starts decrease mileage.
5. there's more I just can't think of them easily now, must have more coffee.
6. Oh yeah, system operation. Delivery efficiency. like good cables, clean connections, good brushes, correct motor, controller for the job.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: trojan t-45 vs deka gc10 for range increase

My beach cart is a 04 PDS model. I had 1 year old t-105 in it up until a few weeks ago. I went to a AC system in it. With the t-105's though it ran for 20 miles plus depending on how fast we drove it. We are 6 miles each way to Ocean Lakes campground and it has made a bunch of trips there and back + riding around inside the campground. The road going up is a 30 MPH speed and it runs 24 MPH by myself well it did, now it's 30MPH. GPS and now has a speed-o installed.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
Tires 22.5 atv
motor, charger, wires controller stock.
battery voltage 38 or so after
6-7 miles is roundtrip
With 22.5" tall tires and a 8:1 differential gears, your motor turns about 120 RPM per MPH versus the the typical 240 RPM per MPH with stock tires and gears.
So you're overloading the stock electrical drive system and you've got two choices, upgrade the high current cables and components now, or upgrade them when the burn up or blow up.

About the battery voltage. I'm trying to find out how far your batteries actually discharge in a 6-7 mile trip, so two readings are needed. One before the trip when the batteries are fully charged (should be 38.2V) and another one after the 6-7 mile trip. Which is also needed to the nearest tenth of a volt.

If the "battery voltage 38 or so after" means after a 6-7 mile trip, you've only used about 5% of you battery's storage capacity.

Attached is a Battery Voltage vs. State of Charge chart so by using a DVM, you can figure out what your batteries are actually doing and not rely on a light bar SoC meter, which are notoriously inaccurate.

Also attached is a chart to determine which type TXT you have. Like Scotty mentioned, we don't know if you have a Series or PDS cart and how to go about improving Run-time is a bit different for each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 5 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #17
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a PDS and it sounds like I have some upgrades to make in cables, Batteries and the rest, I am going to do some research and it looks like 2 plus grand for all upgrades, Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I read this twice and can't find what drive system you have, Series or PDS? Maybe I missed it?

Drive time is an equation of a few factors. Primary factors are:
1. amperage storage capacity. Buy the heaviest battery you can afford. US, Crown, Trojan, are all good. But there are different sizes (capacities rated in amp hours aka ah) to learn when shopping.
2. vehicle weight. Toss out the dead weight.
3. resistance. check breaks and bearings to see the cart rolls freely, sufficient tire air pressure is critical. As is wind resistance.
4. driving habits. Hard stop and starts decrease mileage.
5. there's more I just can't think of them easily now, must have more coffee.
6. Oh yeah, system operation. Delivery efficiency. like good cables, clean connections, good brushes, correct motor, controller for the job.
I have checked all these things again tonight, because its new and florida, I drive almost what seems its distance, I just don't understand why my distance is so low compared to others. Upgrades needed?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO