lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
brownt335
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default paint speaker grills

My Kenwood marine speakers are all white, I guess because of the enviroment most will be used is so harsh, with full sun and salt water ect.
the white is best.
Can I spray paint grill and parts around speaker cones and if so whats best way? I want them black.
Thanks!
brownt335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: paint speaker grills

Just remove the grills and paint them. They are white because it means they are marine and 99% of all boats are white some place.

The speakers can be painted but I don't recommend it. If you are hard set to do it then get a fabric paint and don't turn them on till they dry completely.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Finally something is on here I can help with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownt335 View Post
Can I spray paint grill and parts around speaker cones and if so whats best way?
Scuff the trim rings (but do not put deep scratches in them) with some fine grit sand paper or a scotchbrite to remove the shine and give the paint something to grab to, and paint them with Krylon Fusion plastic spray paint.

You can also use adheasion promotor if you wish, but since the part isn't going to be flexing much I wouldn't think it needs it.

As for the speaker parts themselves, unless you're talking about the metal sections I wouldn't paint them what so ever. Even then you need to mask the cone and rubber surround REAL WELL to keep the paint off them!!

Painting the cone will add more weight to it, lower the sound quality, and burn up the speaker quickly. The system is designed to push and pull a certain amount of weight only and if you add to it, it will overheat the coils. It might not happen tomorrow, next week, or even in a couple of months, but you will not get the normal time out of it and the music coming out will not sound right.

Painting the rubber surround will cause it so become stiff and brittle, once again not letting the speaker cone to move properly, cause the parts to fail sooner, and the music to sound poorly.

Back in the late 80's to the eraly 90's when I was messing with car audio, people would color match their speakers to their car. I used to blow their systems away with cheaper, lower powered equipment because I wouldn't mess with mine.

I hope this helps,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
brownt335
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks,
Might have miss lead about grill, more like plastic trim guards.
Eveything's black except speakers....Sounds good! Do you think it will be easy to scratch off paint?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
brownt335
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also, speakers are one piece...Can't separate!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
mjjust
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm glad you brought this up. I ordered some speakers and when they came in, low and behold, they are one piece. The basket and grill are all one piece of plastic and I am going to have to paint one pair to make them look right.
mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks,
Might have miss lead about grill, more like plastic trim guards.
Eveything's black except speakers....Sounds good! Do you think it will be easy to scratch off paint?
The paint will only be as good or bad as your prep. work allows it to be. I've seen inexpensive paint last for years and the high dollar stuff last for only months. If you take your time and use several LIGHT coats instead of one heavy coat, you'll get good results.

The reason I recommended the Krylon is because it's designed for using on outdoor plastic furnature and children's toys. Quite a few people have used it to paint their roof with good results also.

Quote:
Also, speakers are one piece...Can't separate!
Please post a picture of the speakers you're working with. I honestly don't feel safe making a recommendation on how to procede any farther without seeing them. I don't want to say it'll be ok to paint them and have the speakers go bad on you by having bad information.

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
brownt335
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

[IMG]BBcode[/IMG] stereo install

Last edited by brownt335; 01-25-2012 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: to delete
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
brownt335
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the before pic. of speakers.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
This is the before pic. of speakers.
Is there no way to "break" them apart? Seems like the speaker body would be metal and the cover is plastic.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO