lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Pablob
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Upgrading my early 2001 ezgo txt

I want to upgrade my cart but I want to do it in stages (money) and I would like to know what I should start with. I have only added a HD fwd/rev (not the full unit) switch I was thinking of going with either 2 or 4ga cables, then HD solenoid, lift kit, rebuild motor from Plum, then a controller. Where I drive it mostly on the road and some sand hard packed no hills. Any and all suggestion would be great

Thanks
Paul
Pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrading my early 2001 ezgo txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablob View Post
I want to upgrade my cart but I want to do it in stages (money) and I would like to know what I should start with. I have only added a HD fwd/rev (not the full unit) switch I was thinking of going with either 2 or 4ga cables, then HD solenoid, lift kit, rebuild motor from Plum, then a controller. Where I drive it mostly on the road and some sand hard packed no hills. Any and all suggestion would be great

Thanks
Paul
The trick is to figure out what you want to end up with and work backwards.

Since you've already upgraded the F/R switch with a HD cam, it's probably good to go.

The next weakest link in the chain is probably the high current cables. Replace all 13 (or 14) of them.
Cable gauge depends on what controller you plan on installing. If it is 500A or less, 4Ga will be okay. If it is 500A or over, 2Ga.
(Even if you buy the best, there is only about $30 difference between 4 Ga and 2 Ga, so that's something to be taken into consideration also.)

The Controller and Solenoid should be replaced as a matching pair. (They are available as kits)
How big of controller depends on how tall of tires you plan to end up with.
Also, need to determine if you might go to 48V and plan accordingly.

The cart will be down while being lifted, so that might be a good time to send the motor off to Plum Quick, but the stock motor will work for a while as long as you don't go too wild on tire height.

Basically, get all the bottlenecks out of the high current path, before putting taller tires on it.

Hope this helps.....
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Pablob
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info Johnny! the tires I plan on using are the 22x11x10 with 5" lift
Pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
kcbbqguru
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 2001, put a 6 inch lift on it, then painted the body, going to order new wires fro scotty b, when I get my tax refund back!
kcbbqguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO