lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
vernon_hill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default carryall 294 project (gas)

Hey everyone. I just recently picked up an older (2004) club car carryall 294 from a government auction. It is pretty beat up but I think I can save her. I don't have any experience with Carts but I am persistent so...

The two problems that I am facing right off the bat is that I can't get the motor to idle without the choke. well it will but only a fast idle. I pulled the carb and cleaned it out really good. Put a new fuel filter and air filter in it. Tried messing with the adjustment screws on the carb but I am not really sure what they are doing. I did find out which one was the drain screw... Lost about a gallon of gas on that one.

The other issue is that it will not go into gear. Just grinds. Sometimes if I time it just right I can get it to go into reverse but forward aint happening. So if you have some time to point me in the right direction i would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
vernon_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
vernon_hill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: carryall 294 project (gas)

i realize now that I probably posted this in the wrong forum. not sure how to move it. My apologies...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hello and welcome!

It's hard to diagnose the issue without being there. Look at the simple things first like if your getting full return on your throttle, things like that.

I would say both your problems are directly related if you have high idle the cart won't want to go into gear smoothly.

Keep us posted and sorry I don't have a conclusive answer for you.
SC Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Just to be clear, are you trying to put it in gear with it running? also I thought Carryall's are like regular carts, they don't idle, only start when you step on the peddle and stop when you let off. (or should anyway)
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
vernon_hill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah this one is more like a lawn mower or utv. It has a 20 hp Honda lawn mower motor in it.
Here is a link to one like mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xrt+...v1fJg-qkeYM%3A
Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon_hill View Post
Yeah this one is more like a lawn mower or utv. It has a 20 hp Honda lawn mower motor in it.
Here is a link to one like mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xrt+...v1fJg-qkeYM%3A
Kool!!!!
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
vernon_hill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ok, so I cleaned the carb, adjusted the govenor, played with the idle screw and still cannot get it to idle low without the choke. Also found a sring under the carb that I cannot figure out where it goes. There are no springs pictured on the parts diagram. Anyone have somd detailed pictures of the carb on this model...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
vernon_hill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i did notice that the throttle butterfly on the carb was not returning but i tightened up the spring a little and that seems to have taken care of that.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
SC Carts
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon_hill View Post
i did notice that the throttle butterfly on the carb was not returning but i tightened up the spring a little and that seems to have taken care of that.
Hi idle can only be caused by a limited amount of things, so you need to eliminate anything that could be a potential.

You could look at disconecting your throttle cable completely just to ensure that it is getting it's full range of motion. Another thing you want to look at is hoses to ensure there are no intake leaks that way. Check your intake to make sure it has no leaks etc...

If you are saying that the engine will idle down when you choke it, then what you are doing is choking off the air to the engine. When it's running and you choke it, it should actually die out eventually, if it isn't then you may have an intake leak somewhere.

Just talking out loud.
SC Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
vernon_hill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ok, i am tracking. I will check for that. The intake is really somewhat limited on ths motor. Straight from the air filter to the carb. there is one strange port on the right side of the carb that has a piece of what looks like vaccumn hose on it. It comes off the carb, hits a T and there are plugs in both ends of the T. Well they look like plugs, but the whole thing leaks like a siv. Not sure what it is. Doesnt seem to make any difference if it is plugged or open.

on a different topic when i pull the belt cover off of the drive/driven pulleys i noticed that both are spinning all the time the motor is running, even when i choke it to an idle. Is this normal? I would assume that the driven should only spin as the throttle comes up. I am thinking this is why i can't get it into gear without it grinding.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car