lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Smoke on the Downhill.....

Stats: 93' DS CC - original FE290 Kawi Motor(stock) Original Clutch motor end / machined & power spring added by Tom @ CCP for Driven Clutch. 6" lift with 22's.

Only on a decending slope, where the cart speed is forced higher than under its own power, the cart smokes real bad. Not sure if its the belts or coming from the motor/exhaust. Anyone else have this happen? Does not seem to make a difference whether I have it full gas or no gas - smoke still the same.
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Re: Smoke on the Downhill.....

My initial guess would be that it's coming from the engine and is directly related to your increased RPM's.

Does the cart have the govenor or limiter still hooked up?
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

yes, governor/limited still connected....i think so. Not the original owner but full pedal gets me 15mph.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

If you are only pulling 15mph with 22's then I would guess the govenor is still hooked up.

There is no reason that I can think of that the belt would be smoking as you got going down hill. If it was the belt and it was smoking that bad you would probably be able to smell a burning rubber smell because that belt would have to be cooking to produce that kind of smoke. Same with if it was coming from the brakes, the smell would be the giveaway. With that in mind I would guess that the smoke is from the motor.

Rings may be worn, getting some blow-by, get's amplified by the higher RPM's....
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

1st we need to determine if it is the oil in the crankcase moving up the cylinder when going down hill , i just saw a guy mowing a hillside with a mower that was smoking and not sharing so bad i thought it was a house fire. every time he would drop it over the hill all the oil in the crankcase lays against the back of the piston and its more than the rings can stop so it smokes , if you have lifted your cart and have dropped the front of the cradle to level the engine you are going to have the same problem , if you did not lower the cradle you may have an overfull crankcase and every time you go down hill it will smoke best thing is to not run the engine when going down extreme downhill
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

more information....it smoked before the lift was installed also. I am leaning on the motor being 20 years old that the rings might be shot. It's almost camping season and not sure if I can rebuild it in time or if it's worth dropping in a clone instead.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
jwalsh965
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Something I noticed on a 2000 cc ds fe290 I just purchased. I installed a 3" lift but never lowered the front engine cradle and I also changed the pulse hose from engine to fuel pump. Because after the lift that hose seem tight and might pop off so the only hose I had was a clear hose to try the cart with the lift. After driving the cart for a couple of minutes I smelled oil burning and stopped the cart, when I lifted the seat the first thing I saw was that clear hose was full of oil, which was going into the fuel pump, and yes that hose did have a sag in it. I do believe that line is designed to be tight so oil can run up to the fuel pump but because the line had a sag and the engine is on a angle I think oil is being kicked up by connecting rod and being sucked up that hose. Anyone think this is possible as I will lower engine cradle to level out. All comments welcome as I am a new club car owner, Thanks
jwalsh965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

jwalsh965, good point on the breather tube. I also re-did mine after the lift because it seemed to tight for any flexability. Anyone else what to jump in?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car