lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Cart squeals and hops on hills!!!

The motor carriage is not supposed to be bolted to the frame at that spot. At the front of the motor carriage where it comes to a point there's a round bushing (snubber) that simply sets inside the frame and rests inside the I-beam. If you have it bolted to the frame there, that's incorrect. It should be free to move up and down.

Here's what it should look like stock. That black rubber piece slips over the steel tongue at the front of the cradle and just rests inside the frame there with those tabs. It's not bolted or fastened to the frame at all:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Also, if you have a lift (and it looks like you do). It would be a good idea (if you haven't already) to lower the front of the engine cradle so your motor sits at a better level. If you lifted the cart and the motor is now low in the back and high in the front, it could affect your oiling and harm your motor. None of the lift kits I've seen address this issue.

I just added a piece of square steel and two longer bolts and lowered mine. It's a very quick and easy thing to do on these older carts (pre-1992):

Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
Kb11
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hmmm, I mean this thing violently slaps the frame when you press the gas but once it starts to move its smooth. Do you fasten the rubber piece some how? This thing has done this since I bought it I'm juts now getting the money to fix it I thought it was the clutches. I'm starting to feel like I will always have a hoping cart.

Also do u think the belt alignment could have messed up my drive clutch?
Kb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

No the rubber piece just slips over the piece of steel that sticks out at the tip of the cradle (the piece with the two bolts in it in my pic) and just sets inside the frame. It literally just rests there. It's designed to let the cradle pivot up and down. If yours is fastenened and not letting it move, that could be a reason for your hop.

Here's a diagram. See how the snubber just slides onto the tongue?

How long did you drive on the new clutch? I didn't think you drove on it that long. The belt mis-alignment I would think may wear on the clutch over time, but I wouldn't expect it to be ruined already. I'd get the right driven clutch and go from there. But tell Vintage Carts about it in case something did get knocked out-of-whack. If they really did send you the wrong driven clutch than they should make it right.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #25
Kb11
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Where would one get one of these rubber bushings? Can't find one anywhere online. Yeah I have an e mail out to them now. That driven clutch sounds like a grinding metal on metal deal. I hope it's not a bearing. Could the rear transaxle have something to do with the hoping ? On hills the drive clutch will stop moving sometimes if I try to go up them from a dead stop. This Normal?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's one. They're all over eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUB-CAR-GOLF-CART-MOTOR-MOUNT-SNUBBER-1984-05-GAS-CAR-/180766789506?hash=item2a168a4f82&vxp=mtr

As far as your other problems, it's very difficult to diagnose them before you fix some of the obvious problems we already outlined here. Fix that stuff first and then we'll see where you're at. Getting the right driven clutch, and properly freeing your engine cradle mount and adding the cradle snubber bushing should be done first. Hopefully your other problems will be inadvertently fixed as a result.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
Kb11
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Looking at your picture there appears to be a piece of metal that hangs over your snubber bushing. I assume this acts like a stopper preventing it from going to high. I do not have one of those
Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yes that's correct. Does it look there used to be one? I would think that you could just get a piece of steel and bolt it onto the frame to replace what used to be there.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #29
Kb11
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I'm not sure I have not gotten a chance to look... I will bolt a piece over it. I appreciate the help! I will let you know how it plays out once I get that bushing and proper clutch
Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Cool. Yeah be sure to keep us updated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car