lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
FlyFishingAggie
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 96 DS Only starts when Choked???

The diagram looks exactly like the carburetor I have. I cleaned all openings with a torch tip cleaner of #'s 4,6, and 7. I flushed all openings with carb cleaner. I left #2 as it was adjusted- it allows butterfly to completely close (should I adjust it to stay open some?) I tightened #3 until snug and backed off 1.5 turns. I adjusted #3 each direction and ran cart without improvement. I tightened #4 and #7 until snug. Anything else I should have done?
FlyFishingAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
dewzer
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishingAggie View Post
The diagram looks exactly like the carburetor I have. I cleaned all openings with a torch tip cleaner of #'s 4,6, and 7. I flushed all openings with carb cleaner. I left #2 as it was adjusted- it allows butterfly to completely close (should I adjust it to stay open some?) I tightened #3 until snug and backed off 1.5 turns. I adjusted #3 each direction and ran cart without improvement. I tightened #4 and #7 until snug. Anything else I should have done?
It has to be open some to a allow air fuel mix into the combustion chamber. I bet that is your problem.
I am not sure of the exact rpm but you want it to idle and the clutch should not engage.
Adjust the screw until it just touches the butterfly then start with one turn. Fine tune from there. Now that everything else has been checked, cleaned and adjusted you are going to have a good running engine.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
FlyFishingAggie
Not Yet Wild

I hope you are right!! I will not have a chance to try until late tonight or tomorrow I will let you know the results. Thank you again for all of the help! This is a great site with awesome people!
Old 11-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
FlyFishingAggie
Not Yet Wild

Well.....I was hopeful, but not that lucky! Adjusted #2 until I could not screw it in any more and still have the same problem. The cart does not want to run at low RPM's? Do we still think it is a carb problem? May have to break down and buy a new one! If I was to buy one what would be the best source? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
dewzer
Getting Wild

#2 should open the throtel plate when turned in all the way and when you start the engine it should act like you have your foor on the peddel and want to take off driving on you with no control of low speed.
Block up the rear wheels.
Have a helper, if you choose, depress the accelerator peddel just to the point the engine is turning over.
Now manualy open the throtel plate untill it is running and bring the rpm's down to the lowest idle you can and see where the #2 screws tip is in relation to the arm it pushes on.
I wonder if someone changed that screw on you to one that is to short.
You have screw #3 at 1.5 turns open. How far did you turn it in eather direction when you tried adjusting that one?
For a "no fuel" situation at start up I would try it at 2.5 turns open. it is only for low idel adjustments.
One more thought is to check the plugs in different situations to see if they are dry or wet. Sometimes adding choke will cause smoking to exhaust as unburnt fuel, yet full throtel, adding air, will start the engine.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #16
FlyFishingAggie
Not Yet Wild

Unfortunately, the motor does not run well at low RPM's. If in "maintenance mode," the motor does not run at RPM's that do not engage the driven clutch. If dropping to lower RPM's, you must manipulate the choke to keep the engine running, or to restart. The tip of #2 is a long way away from the extension of the butterfly when the engine starts to die, or you have to choke to keep it running. Does anyone have a vanguard big block kit for sale?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
dewzer
Getting Wild

I think I would clean the carb again, there has to be something you have missed internally that is blocking an orfice.
When the carb is dissassembled and you look at the throat from the engine end, you can see some very small pin head size holes. and a larger one that leads to the tip of screw #3, right near the butterfly.
I use a strand of wire to poke into these type/size holes. Sometimes they look like a spot of dirt they are so small.
Using a spray carb or brake cleaner (safety glasses required) with the extention knozel, spray through these holes and make sure you can see where the liquid is comming out of there ports. The ports on the sides of parts #4 and 6 have to be cleaned out as well.
Spraying the liquid into these holes has to come out somewhere, varify you have flow.
Once that is done recheck the float setting. When the carb is upside down and the needel and float installed, it should sit paralell with the carb body.
If for some reason there is low fuel in the bowl your senerio can occure.
I would go after those orfices my picture shows. Yours may differ some but they are there and need a very small wire to poke into them.
This has to be something simple. It sat for some time allowing gum deposits to sit and plug something. Dont give up, Dig deeper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesCA3SLUXW.jpg (7.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
FlyFishingAggie
Not Yet Wild

Update....cleaned carb for the fourth time last night. Placed wire in the holes in the throat per Dewzer. Used wire/torch tip cleaner in every possible opening in the carb! Sprayed a whole can of B12 Chem Tool through everything and ............it STARTS WITHOUT CHOKE!!! I guess it sat too long and had something in it that was stubborn. I have not had a chance to drive it yet because our weather is terrible right now. Will have to address the fine adjustments now that it seems to be running right. It still smokes when cold, I guess the valve guide seals are allowing some blow by since it sat so long?? I only say this because compression numbers are O.K. What do you think about the smoking?? Thanks again for everyone's help and input on this issue.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
dewzer
Getting Wild

Some times the inside of the muffler will build up with an oily residue and or oil itself. I have herd of people that take them off and accually put them right on an open fire or BBQ. I am sure it would have to stand like a smoke stack.
Valve seals are as easy as adjusting the valves.
Now that it seams to be running better, take it for a good long run and see what happens after that.
Glad you got it going.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #20
FlyFishingAggie
Not Yet Wild

Awesome!! Thank you again to Dewzer and everyone else for the guidance!!! I'm sure this will not be the only problem I will encounter and need help with!! Let the rebuild begin.....what first??? Lift, tires and wheels, speed mods?? These carts are addictive!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car