lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo speed chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Just sayin' I don't think regen makes ANY sense for me, but recognizing that it may make sense for some.

Ask JohnnyB how well his did for him.
Electrical energy is converted to motion when a golf cart is accelerated to speed, so converting motion back into electrical energy when decelerating it from speed, seems more logical to me than converting it to heat with brake shoes and drums, or brake pads and disks.

Yes, I learned the expensive way that the design limits of a stock PDS motor can be exceeded, but regen braking was not the only factor involved.

FWIW: My cart had a freedom chip in it when I acquired it and I simply added a switch in the jumper between Pins 2 & 3 so I could run in either Freedom or Mild Hill modes, but didn't remote the switches to the dash since I didn't feel the need to do so.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #22
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo speed chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Electrical energy is converted to motion when a golf cart is accelerated to speed, so converting motion back into electrical energy when decelerating it from speed, seems more logical to me than converting it to heat with brake shoes and drums, or brake pads and disks.

We're both saying the same thing. I rarely brake when joyriding. To slow down, I can let off the gas and coast. If regen were connected to the brake pedal, rather than just letting off the gas, or limiting downhill speed, it would work better for me. I can coast downhill and pick up enough speed to coast most of the way up the next hill, while my neighbor's regen slows him downhill, and he has to press the gas as soon as he starts going uphill, as he doesn't have enough inertia to coast up. While he did manage to capture some of his energy in the batteries, his rolling resistance is similar to mine, so the losses in the regen system are less efficient than flying downhill and coasting back up.
Since I don't know what being able to change the "Chip" settings does in real life driving conditions, I'd think you would set it and forget it. However, I also like lots of switches on my dash, so I'd probably mount a rotary switch and a run/tow right next to it.

If you have kids that drive it and one setting causes max regen while going downhill, the rotary could be a key switch.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO