lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
BigRichP
Not Yet Wild

Default 1st Cart Recommendations

High guys,

I think I've decided to buy a cart but I'm not sure of exactly what I need. I'm going to use it at my hunting camp to get in and out of the woods. It's about a mile long trail that ascends about 1,000 ft. It's mostly smooth but there are some larger things like rocks and the occasional downed tree I have to traverse. There's also occasionally a couple of inches of snow and sometimes a little mud. Separately, I'd like to use it to ride the family around the neighborhood we live in. I'd also like to go with my friends on their trail rides. They typically swim creeks and go through lots of mud.

I have an Arctic Cat atv currently but want to get away from gas engines because I just don't enjoy the noise going in and out of the woods. From searching I've found that electric carts and utvs can't go in deeper water then the floor boards. At that point I realized trail riding with my friends is out. With that being said, I decided there was no way I was going to spend that much money on a utv like a bad boy buggie that couldn't do everything I wanted. So now I'm thinking of some kind of electric cart and foregoing the trail rides with my buddy's group for the time being.

From my research it looks as though I'll want a 48 volt system, lifted with bigger tires, disc brakes on all four wheels, and independent suspension. Is that right? Are there carts with a four wheel drive option? I also found that if you rig for torque you lose speed. Is there an option for different gears maybe? Do dealers sell these kinds of carts new already rigged? Lastly, about how much do you think something like this will cost?

Thanks in advance.
BigRichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1st Cart Recommendations

Warning------ Opinion Zone------

You are looking for 2 Carts....

1) artic cat Deep water and mud == stuff like that

2) Golf cart for family rides in neighborhood and MILD trail rides.

I cant help with ATV needs.

I can help with Golf cart info.

For a mild trail ride, 4 wheel brakes are not needed.
Many 48v carts use regenerative braking and do quite well on downhill's.

Large tires can kill torque and climbing .
Large lifts can cause safety issues , especially as speed increases.

One cart you may try out/look at is an EZGO RXV.
It is 48v AC drive cart.

AC drive with 14in rims and lower profile tires has GREAT hill climbing torque.
RXV's come stock with limited slip differential -- good for mild mud & snow.
RXV's have a reasonable (@20mph) top end speed.

Although there are no motor/controller upgrades at this time,
there is a large aftermarket/customization market for accessories like
tops,seats tires,lifts ect.

I do not recommend lifts or very large tires for RXV,s ... but they are out there..

---------End opinion zone----------

More folks will chime in on this one......

Good luck.....
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
BigRichP
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Redneck. Without lifting it I'm a little worried about getting the clearance I need to get over rocks and trees though.

I've read a bit more about batteries. Do you recommend Lithium?
BigRichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Many lift kits push the front axle "down" that will give you no effective clearance
help.

Also no lift i know of will help with rear axle . lift raises body - will not help axle clear rocks.

As a rule, Golf carts don't climb over rocks or fallen trees very well.
That is an atv's strong suit.

Lithium is the future of battery power--- that being said --- it is not something
to enter into lightly. Might be best to let experienced electronics wonks blaze that trail. Lots of details to matching batteries to application,battery charging
and battery balancing still need to be worked out.

In a year or two someone will come out with a kit or something with the
engineering and charging routines programmed and fully worked out.

--------- Warning opinion zone ------------

Have fun with first cart...
Pretty basic- easy for wife & kids to drive - nice seats wheels ect..

-----Then get project /experimental cart?

------------ end opinion zone -------

Good Luck !!!!!!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If your looking for torque/climbing power, a Ezgo TXT with "series" drive system (no DCS or PDS model variant TXT) is a great starting point. It has simple but quite rugged suspension, lift kits are easy, bigger tires are no problem, tons of power upgrades, but not independent suspension. 4 wheel drive systems are available, but not really necessary. Posi rear is available, and very nice to have for offroading, i have used the RXV posi in several "non-rxv" carts. These carts (especially the RXV noted above), even in stock trim can do more than you may think. The only big problem with a lifted/big tire RXV is the "zero speed torque", it does very well if you keep the wheels turning. If you stop on a steep hill, or stop at a log that you intend to climb over and stop before you hit the log, it may not want to continue on without backing up a little, then keep the wheels turning as you cross it. "series" drive TXT does not have that problem. "series" motors can have great "zero speed torque". I am kinda a Yamaha guy (i have 2), but if i were building a electric off-roader, i would probably start with a Ezgo TXT or Marathon because of its simple, rugged design, and almost all the upgrades are direct bolt-on replacements of the original pieces with very little custom work needed. Im sure this will be followed by plenty of questions i didnt cover, feel free to ask. I have built many fast street electrics, and several off-roaders of different makes (many of the upgrade parts used in street hot-rods are the same drivetrain parts used to build a off-roader - eliminate the weakest points of the factory system, plus add safety into brakes, ect.). Also, i build some lithium carts, lithium batts are quite picky about their treatment (lead batts are more forgiving of poor treatment - over charge & under charge). Unless you desire to engineer your battery system, several on here have, this job may be best left to the "old standby" lead batts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
Jkry2121
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If your looking for torque/climbing power, a Ezgo TXT with "series" drive system (no DCS or PDS model variant TXT) is a great starting point. It has simple but quite rugged suspension, lift kits are easy, bigger tires are no problem, tons of power upgrades, but not independent suspension. 4 wheel drive systems are available, but not really necessary. Posi rear is available, and very nice to have for offroading, i have used the RXV posi in several "non-rxv" carts. These carts (especially the RXV noted above), even in stock trim can do more than you may think. The only big problem with a lifted/big tire RXV is the "zero speed torque", it does very well if you keep the wheels turning. If you stop on a steep hill, or stop at a log that you intend to climb over and stop before you hit the log, it may not want to continue on without backing up a little, then keep the wheels turning as you cross it. "series" drive TXT does not have that problem. "series" motors can have great "zero speed torque". I am kinda a Yamaha guy (i have 2), but if i were building a electric off-roader, i would probably start with a Ezgo TXT or Marathon because of its simple, rugged design, and almost all the upgrades are direct bolt-on replacements of the original pieces with very little custom work needed. Im sure this will be followed by plenty of questions i didnt cover, feel free to ask. I have built many fast street electrics, and several off-roaders of different makes (many of the upgrade parts used in street hot-rods are the same drivetrain parts used to build a off-roader - eliminate the weakest points of the factory system, plus add safety into brakes, ect.). Also, i build some lithium carts, lithium batts are quite picky about their treatment (lead batts are more forgiving of poor treatment - over charge & under charge). Unless you desire to engineer your battery system, several on here have, this job may be best left to the "old standby" lead batts.
When I think "Torque" the Ezgo TXT is not the first cart that comes to mind. Ezgos RXV has the most stock Torque no questions asked. Sure you can pile alot of money into upgrading the TXT, but the RXV stock will do what a modified TXT will do, to an extent. A tuned RXV runs 19.5 MPH (dealer tuner we do it for free and this is with normal/golf course tires and wheels) the bigger the tires, the faster your cart will go. Even if you throw a bigger controller (money) and motor (money) you wont see a difference when compared to the RXV. Heck, they make new 48 volt programmable TXTs now that wont even beat an RXV. Apples to Apples the RXV is just better.
Jkry2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkry2121 View Post
When I think "Torque" the Ezgo TXT is not the first cart that comes to mind. Ezgos RXV has the most stock Torque no questions asked. Sure you can pile alot of money into upgrading the TXT, but the RXV stock will do what a modified TXT will do, to an extent. A tuned RXV runs 19.5 MPH (dealer tuner we do it for free and this is with normal/golf course tires and wheels) the bigger the tires, the faster your cart will go. Even if you throw a bigger controller (money) and motor (money) you wont see a difference when compared to the RXV. Heck, they make new 48 volt programmable TXTs now that wont even beat an RXV. Apples to Apples the RXV is just better.

Sorry bro, you know little about the differences of the rxv versus the txt. the 16.99 gear ratio in a RXV gives it an automatic advantage over any stock "TXT" gear-wise. But, a series motor has more torque off-the-line than any 3-phase motor offers without a huge controller when at zero motor rpm. I have built both types (ever seen a 650 amp RXV?).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRichP View Post
From my research it looks as though I'll want a 48 volt system, lifted with bigger tires, disc brakes on all four wheels, and independent suspension. Is that right? Are there carts with a four wheel drive option? I also found that if you rig for torque you lose speed. Is there an option for different gears maybe? .................
Your statement I highlighted in red is basically true, but two speed series wound motors and two speed differentials do exist, so both worlds can exist in a single cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
Jkry2121
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Sorry bro, you know little about the differences of the rxv versus the txt. the 16.99 gear ratio in a RXV gives it an automatic advantage over any stock "TXT" gear-wise. But, a series motor has more torque off-the-line than any 3-phase motor offers without a huge controller when at zero motor rpm. I have built both types (ever seen a 650 amp RXV?).
I know little about the TXT and RXV? Oh if only you knew... I agree an RXV on the golf course wont help you but you know I can just throw my EZGO dealer programmers (your dealer should tune you for free thats what we do if you buy a cart from us) to my RXVs and make them go 19.5 with stock tires and high torque settings. All stock and it crushed the TXT if you wanna come and drive two next to each other with hills and such lemme know. Now if you wanna get into going all out upgrading a TXT. Sure you can make it outperform an RXV.
Jkry2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkry2121 View Post
I know little about the TXT and RXV? Oh if only you knew... I agree an RXV on the golf course wont help you but you know I can just throw my EZGO dealer programmers (your dealer should tune you for free thats what we do if you buy a cart from us) to my RXVs and make them go 19.5 with stock tires and high torque settings. All stock and it crushed the TXT if you wanna come and drive two next to each other with hills and such lemme know. Now if you wanna get into going all out upgrading a TXT. Sure you can make it outperform an RXV.

Sign up for a sponsorship if you want to invite people to your showroom every other post. We would love to have your support.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO