lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Battery post melting!

I didn't see a washer either, but the OP said he did so I thought I'd ask.

I know the high current cables need to be right on the lead, closest to the battery in regards to 'stacking' other cables with. (I think stacking is the right term...)
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That cable looks suspect to me. I would replace it or at least clean up the connecton so it's nice and shiny. Heat is what is melting the terminal and heat is caused by a bad connection at the terminal or where the wire is crimped to the lug.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
Russ/TN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

don't over-tighten the nut. its only held by lead.
Russ/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #14
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There currently is no washers on it, that's how it was when I got it. But I know there needs to be. So today I'm going to get some 4ga wire and some good connectors and solder them as well as crimp like I did when I built boats. That will get me the best possible connection, then top it off with some lock washers after I clean all of the terminals.
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #15
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS1 View Post
There currently is no washers on it, that's how it was when I got it. But I know there needs to be. So today I'm going to get some 4ga wire and some good connectors and solder them as well as crimp like I did when I built boats. That will get me the best possible connection, then top it off with some lock washers after I clean all of the terminals.
Keep in mind that there is no viable reason that mandates the use of washers at all... The biggest priority is to have a very clean and solid connection between the bottom of your cable lug to the face of the battery post itself, any washer flat or lock on top provides only mechanical clamping force....

Another train of thought is that crimping and soldering may not provide a better connection and in fact may provide no advantage or even worse. If you crimp then solder there may have been no voids for the solder to penetrate so it does nothing. If you solder then crimp you may distort and or even break the solders bond to the wire and lug.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #16
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Hi RXV tech here..

Those are factory cables.
Good enough for golf speed/use, not great for high speed/ street use.
If cable is going bad, ( like this one appears to be) Replace it with good quality cable.

Replace high current cables From batts to Controller -- do not mess with cables to motor- those are fine.

Lifting RXV,s and adding larger tires is generally a bad idea.
You loose stability ( a real problem with the speed of an RXV) and torque.
The loss of torque is especially problematic as this affects brake performance.

So you LOOSE performance and SAFETY with a lift kit.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #17
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I started upgrading the cables to 2ga today and adding lock washers. I replaced that one cable after I finished my 6" lift so that I could test drive it. I drove it hard and got no heat out of that cable. The torque seems to still be there in my opinion and it still stops good. It will lock up the tires if you slam on the brakes so not sure why that seems to be an issue. Maybe with huge tires but with the 22"s it seems just fine. And it's definitely faster but I have to GPS it to see what it's at. It was 19-20mph with stockers on it.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:43 PM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Keep jamming the brakes like that, it will clear up that locking-up issue, and you will get to replace the mtor brake before it will drive again . That lockup is "normal" for a panic stop, but very hard on the motor brake that is intended only to keep a stopped cart stopped. Try to not press the pedal to the point of motor brake engagement.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #19
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Keep jamming the brakes like that, it will clear up that locking-up issue, and you will get to replace the mtor brake before it will drive again . That lockup is "normal" for a panic stop, but very hard on the motor brake that is intended only to keep a stopped cart stopped. Try to not press the pedal to the point of motor brake engagement.
I don't normally do that I was just testing to make sure it will stop if needed. I normally don't even drive it at full throttle just when I'm on the main roads that are 25 mph to get to the next side street.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO