lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
MrMikey
Not Yet Wild

Default Are a 1984 E-Z Go and 1988 E-Z Go compatible?

First, let me say I'm glad I found this site!

Now, to the issue: I recently picked up a 1988 E-Z Go Marathon (I believe it's an X-444). Upon closer inspection, the battery trays are destroyed, some of the body panels show damage from acid leakage, there's a hole in the floor where the driver sits, etc. etc. - a pretty big mess, but salvageable.

While researching options (parts, repair shops, etc.), I came across another E-Z Go for sale. 1984 model. Looks pretty much the same. Except, it is missing the motor and the electronics for shifting. Otherwise, it has a good body and battery support system, as well as a number of accessory pieces missing from the '88.

My question is: are these models the same (or similar enough) that I could transfer the motor and electrical components from the '88 model to the "more solid" '84 platform?

A difference I did see, however, is in the drivetrain - the motor on the '84 model mounted in front of the differential; on the '88, the motor sits on top of the differential (it's as if the assembly had been rotated 90 degrees).
I figured (based upon the mounting of the motor) I would have to transfer the entire rear axle assembly, and there might be a small metal plate (baffle) I would need to remove - but is it as simple as that, or am I missing something here?

Here's hoping I can get some sort of answer here quickly (at least before I lose the '84 to another buyer).
MrMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Are a 1984 E-Z Go and 1988 E-Z Go compatible?

Welcome to BGW!

I'm not up to speed on the physical layout of Marathons, but EZGO didn't re-invent the wheel every year like the automakers did, so the frame is probably the same and installing a sidewinder trans-axle into an older cart ought to be fairly straightforward.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
MrMikey
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Are a 1984 E-Z Go and 1988 E-Z Go compatible?

Thanks! I kinda figured as much, but it's good to have a second opinion.
Unfortunately, the '84 sold, so I won't be going that route after all.
MrMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO