lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Snowman2
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help with Speed Controller

I am in need of help. I have a high pitch singing sound coming from my cart. It happens when I have been running for a while with 3 people on it or when I go slow "stop and go". It only happens at the end of my ride, so I believe its heat related. I am thinking its my speed controller, but it has been running fine for 3 years without a hitch and now its starting to have this problem.

This is my set up...
2001 Ezgo, 36 volt Trojan Batteries, 4 years old
500 Amp, GE speed controller, replaced 2012
New Heavy Duty F/R switch & 800 peak/300 amp solenoid
Jakes lift kit with 22 inch tires, running on flatland in Florida
Rear stainless seat mount
4 gauge wire running all batteries and throughout
Cart runs in high 20s speed and has a 8:1 gear in the rear end

After replacing the solenoid, and test run....the temp on the wires from the batteries to the speed controller were 170..!!! The motor temp was 110

I am thinking of replacing the 4 gauge to 2 gauge from the batteries to the solenoid and so on...solenoid ....speed controller....motor....

My question is .....Is my speed controller going bad ? The shop is suggesting a Curtis 2 speed, 500 amp so I can control the low end and flip the switch to high end.

All I am wanting to do is solve the heat issues and stop the singing sound....

Any input would be great....

Thanks in advance...
Snowman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help with Speed Controller

Which drive system is the Ezgo?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:36 AM   #3
Snowman2
Not Yet Wild

Its a series cart.....it has a high speed torque motor...6 hp.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:43 AM   #4
Snowman2
Not Yet Wild

I was wrong its a DCS cart....it has the F/R switch mounted between the two riders.....Sorry Scottyb....I was not sure of that part.....

The singing noise happens at the end of the ride and goes away when it is at full throttle, but it you back off the throttle it starts to sing again. If I let is sit for 20 minutes and it cools off the singing goes away.....

Any help would be great.....
Old 10-23-2015, 03:45 AM   #5
Snowman2
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb....I just looked a previous post of yours explaining the different carts and mine is a Series....it does not have a tow switch and the F/R is on the right in front of the controller

Sorry for the confusion....

Last edited by Snowman2; 10-23-2015 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: wrong reply for post
Old 10-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm a bit surprised the motor didn't get hotter.

But that could be due to loosing so much power in the cables. (Hot cables = lost power to motor).
Ideally, the high current cables shouldn't get more than about 10°F above the air temperature.
With your setup (500A controller, aftermarket motor, 22" tires, 8:1 gears and a rear seat with a 36V battery pack), you probably need 2Ga or heavier for all 13 of them.

If the pitch of the whine gets higher with cart speed, I'm more inclined to believe it coming from the differential (or motor) than the controller.
Controllers can whine, but the pitch doesn't change with cart speed and it is too high in frequency for most people to hear.

What oil are you running in the differential?
If it is SAE 30 motor oil, it is thinning out as it warms up.
I use SAE 85W-140 gear oil in my differential.

What is the Make/Model of the motor?

With your tire height and gear ratio, your motor is only turning at 3300 RPM when your cart is going 27 MPH, so a High-Torque motor may be better suited than a "high speed torque" motor.

BTW, the max temperature (measured at the case) for a motor with Class H insulation is 239°F and the motor is the only thing that should be getting hot. Controller and solenoid will only get warm and the high current cables and F/R switch shouldn't warm up very much.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

A set of 2 gauge welding cables will reduce temperatures significantly in a cart pulling big amps. I've seen 4 gauge get torched to the point of becoming brittle and failing where 2 gauge don't even get hot.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
A set of 2 gauge welding cables will reduce temperatures significantly in a cart pulling big amps. I've seen 4 gauge get torched to the point of becoming brittle and failing where 2 gauge don't even get hot.
Are you using 2g with your 400a controls?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
Are you using 2g with your 400a controls?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

No I'm not using a 400 at this point, I'm running a stock 1510. But as I see above, JohnnieB is using them on his 400.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO