lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
jmcmill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ez go wont go has new batteries

got it out of a barn and has been sitting for 11 years but in good shape. batteries were bad so installed three of my car batteries just to see if it would run on jack stands and it did after i jumped the solenoid and kinda kick started the wheels on rear but still didn't have any power so i just thought might be the auto batteries not enough voltage or amps. so know it needs solenoid but went and bought 6 new 6 volt batteries and installed moved alittle after jumped solenoid but still no speed or power now won't hardly do anything. batteries fully charged have voltage ever where read some forum about speed control and said check solenoid does that have anything to do with it? check motor not shorted together but my cables are green under the insulation. and did break the little resister or diode off the speed controller that goes from the neg. to the pos. cables i need to replace.
jmcmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: ez go wont go has new batteries

i am mainly a Harley guy but, I have a x440 3 wheeler the model is very important. ezgo changed them greatly over the years. you need to post that and im sure someone more knowledgeable about ezgo will chime in
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

also go to the stickys in this section they are helpful
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
jmcmill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

1993 marathon. i went to there and that's where i picked up on about the solenoid could cause an issue with the speed. i was just trying to get so more info. don't really know much about golf carts. thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have a Marathon controller cart with several issues.

Inn its prime, it had a top speed of about 10-12 MPH, but after sitting for 11 years it is going to need some work to get it running anywhere near that.

The thing that you broke on the controller is a MOV (metal-oxide varistor) and isn't needed to run. (Surge protector)

You can get the motor to turn by jumping the solenoid, but it doesn't spin very fast or have much power, so let's find out how well the controller is working.

With the rear wheels off the ground (Cart on jackstands for safety), connect your voltmeter between the B- and B+ terminals on the controller. With the solenoid jumped, push the pedal to the floor and measure the voltage.

If the voltage with the pedal on the floor is not the same as the voltage between the main positive and main negative terminals on the battery pack with the pedal on the floor, the high current cables have excessive resistance and need to be fixed or replaced. (Replacing all 12 of them with 4Ga or thicker is the best thing to do)

Connect the voltmeter between the M- and B+ terminals on the controller. The voltage should start at zero and increase to the voltage measured between the B- and B+ terminals on the controller when the pedal is on the floor.

If not, pull the small black and white wire off the controller and measure between the loose wire with an ohmmeter. You should get close to zero Ohms with pedal up and about 5,000Ω with pedal on floor. Also the Ohms should increase smoothly as pedal is press, no skips or jumps.

The attached schematic should be pretty close to what you have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon - Controller Schematic.JPG (143.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
jmcmill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

jonnieb thanks for info. check all my circuits like you said. i got 38.v at all checks with pedal up or down. the thing is as soon as i hook up wire from solenoid to the controller motor will try to run with key on or not. with pedal pushed down will run a little more the quit but its very weak and will only run for 10 to 15 seconds. did ohm out the potentiometer its all over the place. max is only 2500 ohms funny i ohm that last week and it was fine but i guess sitting so long got to work all the bugs out. i know my solenoid is stuck wife is coming back with one now not the same as on there but is a four post continuous duty 36v. hope that's ok. when i first put batteries in friday it would run up and down the drive but real slow and barley pull a small grade. then now stopped all together any more help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This cart has a 1/2 speed option usually activated in reverse. I sounds like the cart has it active all the time ( pot output 2500 Ω ) Find these 2 wires from the pot to the F&R micro switch and be sure they are contacting each other then retest the pot signal. (disconnect one from the switch if switch is bad.)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Getting 38V for all the readings with pedal up or down isn't good.
The control element (MOSFETs) is between the B- and M- terminals.
The output from the controller is PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) DC and when the pedal is up, the PWM duty cycle is zero and when the pedal is on the floor the duty cycle is 100%.

Your controller is probably a Curtis 1204. Attached is a manual for it. They all work about the same, so you can get a pretty good idea of how they work even if it is a different model controller.

Basically, the internal connection between the controller's B- and M- terminals varies from and open (pedal up) to a short (pedal down), controlling the number of amps the motor is allowed to draw from the battery pack.

-------------
The Ohmic value of the throttle is 0-5K in forward and 0-2.5K in reverse.
One of the microswitches on the F/R assemble puts a 5K fixed resistor in parallel with the 0-5K potentiometer the pedal linkage turns. Could be in Reverse, or could be a sticky microswitch.

------------
Four post solenoid, 2 posts for the coil and two posts for the contacts. The contacts have to pass a lot of amps, so that may be an issue.

----------
The cart being 22 years old and having sit for 11 years makes everything in it suspect. So far we know the batteries are good (or at least new) and the motor turns. Now you just have to troubleshoot and fix everything between the two.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Curtis Controller 1204_05 manual.pdf (415.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
jmcmill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

scottyb i did have the thing in reverse. rechecked my pots and will go to 6000 ohms and not really seeing any dropouts when press down slow but it does spike when your pushing pedal then stop then it comes back down to a resting ohm say like my spike 2000 ohms but when stop it when say be at 1800 ohms is that normal for that to do that on that set up? got my new solenoid on that parts working now no trying to run by it self or having to jump it. still no power motor will barley run then quit. i got 38 volts on all my connections. recheck what johnnieb showed me early i still got 38 volts when measuring m- and b+ with pedal up or down any thoughts will help again.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
jmcmill
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i did take motor apart to check brushes and they where green where had been sitting clean off and check post to make sure not shorted together everything look good inside that i could tell just another thought.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO