lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1991 EZGO Marathon Electric only Clicks

Hello All, first post and looking for help for a 1991 Marathon electric serial 649210 and model J0591.

I am mechanically inclined and ready to jump in just having a hard time locating diagrams that show all electrical components for this exact model and would appreciate your time and expertise. Frankly, I have no idea on history of this cart, however, I was told it was running when parked a year ago. I just replaced all batteries (all brand new) and here is what I have randomly checked and the results so far.

Key on position and place in reverse, no beep
Key on position and place in forward (and reverse) and press gas pedal and selenoid clicks but no movement
Tested voltage of each battery and at least 6.2v in each
Tested voltage at controller and have 0 volts
Tested voltage at large bolts on selenoid and 0 volts.

I also checked the 2 prong key switch...pulled the wires from the back and measured continuity at contacts. I have infinity resistance with key on and off, which makes no sense to me.
Measured voltage at key switch wires and have about 38+v.

Thank you in advance for helping get the old cart running. My granddaughter and I appreciate your wisdom and time in advance.
Rainman
Rainman4820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1991 EZGO Marathon Electric only Clicks

The batteries need to be charged. 6.2V is only 72% charged. (6.37V is 100% charged)
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/charging-tutorial.html

Sounds like a bad keyswitch, but it also sounds like the keyswitch has been bypassed since the solenoid clicks.

Since the solenoid clicks when the pedal is pushed, the problem is in the high current circuit. The most likely suspect is the contacts in the F/R assemble not making good contact.

Here are schematics for your cart, or close to it.
First is blank, second has the high current circuit highlighted and third has the solenoid activation circuit highlighted.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you JohnnieB, I will start in that area and report my progress.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok so I charged the batteries and they are good to go. I bypassed the key switch and checked and still have click in solenoid but no movement. I removed the F/R mechanism and checked the micro switches and they both function and pass continuity tests. All other wires seem to be in the right spot and are solidly connected. I did not disassemble the F/R but it appears that the contacts are making good solid contact and are oriented correctly. I did strip at least one of the contacter lugs when removing cables so I will either have to rig with a washer or replace the lug outright.....so given that...

Would you recommend I disassemble the F/R to clean and replace contacts and also, is it possible to jump or bypass the F/R altogether to rule it out as the problem? Thanks and appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have decided to just purchase a new F/R but in the interim is it possible to jump or bypass the F/R altogether to test the components downstream? I believe I can trace down the right location on the schematic if someone could point me in the right direction. I also assume that I will need some heavy duty cables to do any testing..... Thanks and appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You can use the existing high current cables.

Just bolt the cable attached to the top stud on the F/R to the cable on the stud at the 9 O'clock.
Then bolt the one on the bottom stud to the one at 3 O'clock.

That should put the cart in Forward.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Nevermind

Last edited by Rainman4820; 05-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: sp

Tags
1991 marathon electrical
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO