lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
mwalker007
Not Yet Wild

Default 1992 EZGO 36V Marathon erratic speed problems

It started with running super slow like the batteries were down and then would crawl to a stop. Wait a little while, runs fine. Then, when you pushed the pedal down...full speed from a dead stop. Here is what I have done to it. Changed the Potentiometer, changed the micro switch, changed all the cables to the batteries and cleaned all the post and connections. The only thing I know now is the expensive speed controller or is there something else I can do. Would the Speed controller varistor have anything to do with this problem? Thanks for you help with this.
mwalker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1992 EZGO 36V Marathon erratic speed problems

ok...what is the state of charge (voltage) of your pack? do you have a DVM? if so, charge up your pack....after the charger stops charging, wait roughly 12 hrs (don't use your cart) and check and record total pack voltage. then check each individual battery and record that voltage.

report back your findings. This is where you need to start your troubleshooting.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
mwalker007
Not Yet Wild

Sir Nuke, thanks for helping. I have charged all batteries and now ready to test. I don't know where to test the whole "pack". Can you tell me how to do that? I will un hook each individual battery for the individual test, but not sure where to test the whole pack.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Before starting out, check each individual battery voltage. You can leave the batteries connected for this test, no need to disconnect the wiring.

Driver's side Front inner battery is the 36v Pos. Passenger side Front inner battery is the 36v Neg. If you have alligator clamps for the test leads, clamp to those 2 terminals and then take the cart for a ride. Record the initial voltage (before stepping on the accelerator), the lowest voltage reading (when you first start going, there will be a large voltage drop then the voltage will start to rise again as you reach cruising speed) and the running voltage reading (This will be the reading while cruising)
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
mwalker007
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Rabbitreborn: Here are the results based on what the advise of Sir Nuke and Rabbitreborn. All batteries tested individually were in the range of 6.17-6.20 volts. The total voltage sitting still of the group of batteries was 37 volts. I hooked up the test like you suggested and the voltage dropped to 31 then rose back up under full throttle on level ground to a range of 34.2-34.5 and rose to a little over 36 while coasting. Still jerking hard on initial push of the pedal whether in forward or reverse. Thanks for your help and let me know what you all think.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

based on the cruise results and the initial drop, I would say the batteries need replacement.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

they are a little weak.....as a good pack, fully charged will be at 38.3v. your pack is only maintaining a 70% charge.....not good. This is the root of your problem. time to think about buying a new set and "gassing her up".
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #8
mwalker007
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I can understand the voltage reading and batteries not being new and holding a complete charge...what I don't understand is this is the first time over the years that I've had this crazy pedal problem running wide open when you barely push on the pedal. I've changed the batteries out about four times since the 90's. Can someone tell me why it is doing this and will new batteries fix this problem? Thanks
Old 08-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you have 2 separate issues. The first is the batteries needing to be replaced. As for the rapid surge in speed , that can be caused by 2 things. Either the potentiometer has gone bad or the controller has gone bad. Pull the #2 and #3 pins from the top of the controller, set the DVM to Ohms and take a reading with pedal up (should be 0 Ohms) slowly depress the accelerator and you should see the Ohms climb slowly to 5k at full pedal down. If the resistance jumps instantly to 5k with the pedal barely depressed, the Pot box is bad. If it operates correctly, the controller is bad.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A 1992 has a potentiometer throttle signal device.... if all was working well and now it's going crazy it is most likely water has entered the device.

If it is original... it is 24 yrs old & I would just replace it.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pot box, potentiometer, speed control problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO