lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Runaway RXV

Glad you're alive. Anyone besides me think this cart is totaled?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #12
ironmonkey17
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Yes, but I figured he suffered enough at the moment..
he might be able to find a cheap roller..
ironmonkey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is it just me, or is anyone else thinking about adding a positive cut off switch / emergency kill switch in line with the main solenoid control wire since the key switch is only an input to the controller on the RXV?

Ike
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:57 AM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Normally I would agree. But a buddy of mine has a custom car body shop with a frame machine. He's offered to fix the frame damage. If all else fails, we can find a frame or a parts RXV that has a good frame.

Talk about timing. I was considering a ground up build of a custom cart based upon an RXV frame and a custom body. For years, I've been building custom EV designs for others. Now that I'm retiring from that, it's long past time that I build one for myself. I'm thinking of using an LiFePO4 pack to cut weight. I have a machine shop and welding shop, might as well use it for myself once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else thinking about adding a positive cut off switch / emergency kill switch in line with the main solenoid control wire since the key switch is only an input to the controller on the RXV?

Ike
That sounds like a very good idea, a kill switch to take away control from a runaway controller without locking up the brakes (powers the motor brake coil with another contact), and maybe another one right next to it to lock the motor brake, just in case you need to.

Heck, a DPDT center off toggle switch could be used to combine both functions into one switch. Up for normal, center for total shutdown, and down for shutdown with no brakes applied. Essentually s more useful run/tow switch out in the open where it can be accessed while driving. Why hide it under the seat. LOL

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I see this as, one more reason to delay RXV ownership. Can we know the root cause?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

If either of you 2 guys do wire in one of these kill switches, will you please post the wiring diagram, of how you wired it in?
Sounds like a ton of people here , could benefit from that.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #17
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe a large mushroom kill switch on the floor by the accelerator pedal. Possibly wire in series with an inertia fuel pump kill switch like on a car. At least this would prevent the run on your cart was doing after impact. You could easily find one at any junk yard cheap, or even ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-Lin...dVSUIy&vxp=mtr

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...kCUaAn5V8P8HAQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eswitch.jpg (7.3 KB, 0 views)
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #18
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I were to do it on my personal cart I think would use the mounting hole for the optional foot horn switch, then connect it to a kill relay (NC relay) on the main solenoid control line. This would give me a foot activated button next to the brake pedal that would effectively lock the parking brake. (ideally only as long as it was pressed, although how reliably it would then dis-engage would depend on the controllers state since the logic level power for the controller does not run through the main solenoid)

Having said this I am not sure how happy an RXV controller would be with having the main solenoid control action being bypassed.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Not sure why shutting the key off wouldn't stop the vehicle... From what I can tell by the wiring diagrams the key is what powers the controller logic, if that is off then there is no command for the EM brake to be open so it should close by default thus braking the vehicle.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Read the first post again. He did not turn off the key until after the crash. And it stopped then.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO