lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
hmsnider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Turn Signals on RXV

Has anyone on the forum ever installed a turn signal kit on an RXV? I'm still trying to find a kit but now even wondering if its possible. Thanks for any replies.
hmsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Turn Signals on RXV

All the oem light kits plug right up to a oem turn signal head under the cup holder. The aftermarket kits are sometimes ready for a easy turn signal head, plug & play. Some are not wired for easy turn signal installation. All depends on exactly what light kit you have. Post some pics of any plugs under the cup holder. Also, check the 3 (hopefully) wire colors at each rear tail light, if all three colors are the same on both sides that's not good news (a different color stripe on the wire still counts as a different color).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsnider View Post
Has anyone on the forum ever installed a turn signal kit on an RXV? I'm still trying to find a kit but now even wondering if its possible. Thanks for any replies.
It is quite do-able. I bought the turn signal stalk for the steering column from a seller on eBay, bought an LED flasher, and replaced my Halogen lights for all LED lights. The installation was fairly easy, the turn signal unit handles all of the switching required. If you want 4 way flashers, be sure to get a turn signal switch that has that function built in. (usually you pull the stalk handle or push a button to engage emergency flashers) I added brake lights as well.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
hmsnider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm told the 9 pin connector under the cup holder is the factory diagnostic port. Is this where you would plug the turn signal in? I'll try to get some pictures but that will be a challenge for me.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 10-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'm told the 9 pin connector under the cup holder is the factory diagnostic port. Is this where you would plug the turn signal in? I'll try to get some pictures but that will be a challenge for me.

Thanks,
Harry
Sorry, no. That is for diagnostics and for a 'run plug', which routes +48V and - to your motor brake, which allows POST to pass and the motor (parking) brake to release.

There is a purple wire (for powering a brake light relay) and a red wire (+48V) underneath the cupholder top. You must remove the 3 sheet metal nuts to lift the top off of the cupholder assembly to get at those wires. For a turn signal, you'll really need to get a 48V to 12V voltage reducer. Carts Unlimited has good units available, look up scottyb. I used a cheap 10 Amp one for my lights and accessories because I only needed a little bit of power for lights and a horn. My el-cheapo unit is connected to switched +48 so it powers up when the key is on. If you're planning on adding a stereo or anything else that requires quality power, definitely spend the money on a GOOD voltage reducer.

Bob
Old 10-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #6
hmsnider
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for your reply Bob. I do have a 48 to 12 volt reducer installed for running the lights. All the kits I have seen have a 9 pin or 7 pin connector . Do I have to cut these wires and splice in somewhere? I have the cup holder removed and see the purple and red wire and the 9 pin diagnostic port.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 10-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Bob. I do have a 48 to 12 volt reducer installed for running the lights. All the kits I have seen have a 9 pin or 7 pin connector . Do I have to cut these wires and splice in somewhere? I have the cup holder removed and see the purple and red wire and the 9 pin diagnostic port.

Thanks,
Harry
I don't know the layout of the wiring on your reducer, someone else should be able to help you there. I prefer switched +48V to turn the reducer on and off. Be sure to fuse input to the reducer and outputs from the reducer.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO