lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
clubcarfl
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries not charging once full

I have a 1993 DS Electric Golf Car, 36 Volt. The batteries are about a year old but I have noticed that once the golf cart fully charges, the charger will not hold a 100% charged level.

It seems that the charger will not charge again until I removed the charger plug from the cart and plug it back in. What I expect is that the charger would constantly keep the batteries charged.

What could be the cause of this?
clubcarfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Batteries not charging once full

What you are experiencing is normal. If you want a charger with a float stage, get a DPI.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcarfl View Post
I have a 1993 DS Electric Golf Car, 36 Volt. The batteries are about a year old but I have noticed that once the golf cart fully charges, the charger will not hold a 100% charged level.

It seems that the charger will not charge again until I removed the charger plug from the cart and plug it back in. What I expect is that the charger would constantly keep the batteries charged.

What could be the cause of this?
Its design.

Club Car OEM charging systems do not have float charge, the +48v system has a maintenance charge every 2 weeks, but the +36v do not.

There are other aftermarket chargers like the DPI accusense that provide float charge for stand-by use.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
clubcarfl
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Its design.

Club Car OEM charging systems do not have float charge, the +48v system has a maintenance charge every 2 weeks, but the +36v do not.

There are other aftermarket chargers like the DPI accusense that provide float charge for stand-by use.
Thanks for clarifying that, glad to know it is not just me. What are your thoughts of charging the batteries fully and then using a charger maintainer to keep the batteries full (e.g. Batteryminder).

Should this provide the same outcome?
clubcarfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
FastEddieG
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Its design.

Thank you for this, I was wondering this since we got our carts late last year. So as I understand it, our 2008.5 48v Club Car Precedents with Club Car charger, if we leave them plugged in, they will "automatically" charge themselves ~every 2 weeks? And if that is correct, is this considered ok from a batter perspective for idle carts? Or is it recommended to manually charge them more frequent when not being used?

Thanks in advance,
-Ed
FastEddieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

From the Power Drive 2 manual:

• Long-Term Storage Charge
Vehicles with PowerDrive 2 chargers are designed to be left connected, with AC power to the charger on, during off-season storage. The onboard computer will automatically activate the charger every 15 days. To return the vehicle to service, unplug the charger DC cord, wait 15 seconds for the computer to reset, and plug the charger back in. See following WARNING. This will ensure the batteries are at their optimum charge prior to returning the vehicle to service

I personally would charge more frequently, but that's just me...
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car