lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

Default Barn find controller, charger and upgrade questions

I recently ran across this golf cart in someone's barn. I gave him $500, I don't know if this is a deal or not, but I am comfortable with it. It has two forward-facing rows of seats, a flat area, and seating for two facing back. It is an EZ-Go, I am told it is a shuttle, but looking around the internet suggested it is a PCX-954. Model/Serial #: 956 59571187 Whatever it is, I am very excited to get her going.

Supposedly ran last fall, does not now. All batteries are between 6.02 to 6.75 volts and pack voltage is 38.2 It has a 48 volt White Rodgers Type 586 120111 solenoid. The DC motor has four posts with 6 gauge wiring. The motor has been painted and the only identification is a stamped number 012CH102 L-1. The controller is a CurtisPMC. It is difficult to discern what it says for model/voltage/current, but it appears that the voltage may say 24 - 96 and the current ends in a 6. It has the D-plug charger under the back compartment, but there is this additional port of slightly smaller size under where would be the driver's legs. This smaller port has 4 gauge wiring hooked up to it that ran back to the batteries where the wires were intentionally cut and leading to nothing.

It does not have a charger and the reconditioned batteries are at least 4 years old already.
Since those seem to be the largest expenditures outside the controller, it seems to make sense that I should go ahead and upgrade to 48 volt, right? Particularly since this thing is so large at more than 11'. Also, is it possible that the controller actually does say 24 through 96 volts, such that it wouldn't need upgrading?

Also, since a charger is needed, the idea of these on-board chargers sounds pretty handy. Is there any real big drawbacks to those that I'd regret over a standard charger?

I am kind of already in hot water with the wife for spontaneously buying this thing that needs so much work. Keeping cost down will keep the marriage easier, but I am willing to spend whatever she needs reasonably. If there is some upgrade out there that is really worth the bucks while all do all this repair/upgrade then I want to do it too. However, I do not need the fastest or strongest, and I really could not care less about how she looks as long as she is dependable. Torque, however, could be handy it gained at a reasonable cost. I'd like to keep it under $2k for everything if I can, and spending less would be much, much better. This all depends on what I find it takes to get her moving I guess, though the wife ain't gonna be happy with $2k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arriving home.jpg (225.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DC Motor.jpg (191.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Secondary port at legs (2).jpg (185.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Secondary port at legs.jpg (179.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Solenoid.jpg (189.3 KB, 0 views)
mathemagician44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Barn find controller, charger and upgrade questions

Sorry for the length there, but I also meant to ask what that secondary port is. Is that something a pervious owner did to use a different charger or something?

Also, I upgraded the battery cables to 4 volts since they had all corroded to failure anyway. Should I also replace existing 6 gauge cables to the motor and solenoid with 4 gauge? They are in good shape
Old 06-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The entire high current system is only as good as the worst/smallest cable in the system (also including the F&R switch).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
bmr4106
Not Yet Wild

The connector poet appears to be an Anderson connector. Among other uses, that connector was used as a charging connector on older ezgo golf carts, like the Marathon model.
bmr4106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
xxcfdrr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The controller is most likely 36V 400A Curtis.
xxcfdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good find. I have one of these.... my friend has borrowed it for 3 or 4 years and converted it to 48v, built a roof for it , built a lift for it, I guess it's his now.
I have a a flatbed model I use in the shop for a shipment shuttle - Right now it is loaded with new 36 or 48v chargers with the SB50 connector to fit this cart
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. I am excited to have a chance to take a better look at her problems this weekend.

So it sounds like I can remove that potential Anderson plug since it has a D-style plug at the back now, the secondary port wires wet cut too short anyway, but they have good 4 gauge wire that I can use elsewhere.

I should probably plan to rewire the F&R switch and I'll go ahead and replace the switch since the knob is broken anyway. Earlier reading suggested that this is a lot more than getting a switch over a knob, I thought. But reading through your page last night Scotty, it sounded like maybe I can replace it with just the switch?

Seems like there is advantages to new controllers over the 30 year old ones anyway. So I should plan on replacing it.

Is there a need to upgrade to something like the pedal conversion kit? It sounds handy, but if since costs are already getting up there, is it worth it?

The onboard charger is still a big question. Have y'all had luck with those. The extra $50-100 sounds like money well spent to be able to plug it in anywhere.

Thanks again fellas. I have been reupholstering the seats and they are turning out well. Much better than I would have expected anyway for having just bought my first sewing machine the day I started. I will post some pics to the correct category once I got something a little more complete.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
mathemagician44
Not Yet Wild

So maybe I ran into a problem I didn't expect tonight. I applied 37 volts directly to the motor and got no movement. Did I do it right? I connected A1 to A2, S1 to S2, the I put the negative on A1 and the positive on A2 and got nothing. Does this sound like the correct way to do it? I unfortunately broke a terminal stud leading out of the motor at S2, I think I can do something to fix that though if the motor is done already
Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #9
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

how's this going (years later)? i just got one myself. yours looks cool in red!

have you upgraded anything?
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, ez-go controller, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO