lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
radelon
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 84 DS 2hp GE Motor Field Lugs

I'm gonna try to simplify this as much as possible. I have an 84 DS switched over to 48v system using a 700amp FSIP controller and HD 48V Solenoid. The motor is still the original 36V 2hp GE. When working cart runs great about 20mph top speed and 12-14 mph up hills driving around town.

Here's my issue. At first the motor wouldn't run. Did all the troubleshooting and everything checked good. Even took it to a shop. They told me the motor was bad. I took the cart home and pulled the motor to find that both the Field wires were not connected to the lugs!

I tried soldering for almost 4 hours and gave up. Then I found some solid 12 awg Copper and twisted it around the square copper for the field wires. I insulated the wire and ran it directly out the lugs. And everything works but the wire does get pretty hot.

Is there a better way to do this? Is 1 - 12 awg wire not enough? If I use 2 of the 12 awg wires to wrap would that be better? Can I permanently fix them to the field wire using like JB Weld or something so they cant break or come loose?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.
radelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
radelon
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 84 DS 2hp GE Motor Field Lugs

Without any replies I came up with another idea, I picked up 2 x 4g terminals that I will crimp onto the field wire inside the motor, I will then torch the connector with solder in it. This will then mount directly to the inside of the lug before the insulator.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's better that just running wires, twisting and JB weld as in the first attempt.
Soldering is tough in that area but crimp and solder might hold up.
700amp FSIP controller is going to strain those connections under heavy load.
Motor shop could fix it correctly but your second attempt might just work for awhile.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
radelon
Getting Wild

Club Car

Completed option 2 last night. Trimmed the field wires so that the terminal connections would line up properly with the lugs. Then sanded the wire and cleaned it. Pressed the terminal onto the wire and then filled it with solder.

Connection is rock solid now and the pedal lag is now gone. Cart has a lot more pep now. But of course a mans work is never done, noticed 3 of the cables are Stereo Amp cables and all 3 show signs of getting hot.. So I ordered a full set of 2awg wires for 48v cart. These of coarse use the welding wire.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Great news!
Hey it might work for a long while!
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car