lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
RXLuke
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 5HP motor speed maxed?

Hey everybody,

Just picked up the 2008 Precedent with an 'upgraded motor.' Turns out, the previous owner had burned the stock engine up, and wanting more speed, he had it replaced with a 5HP AMD. 14mph up steep hills, 19 on flat and downhill with regen braking, and more torque than my older DS ever could have had without 750 in upgrades!!

I clocked the cart at 19mph up and downhill, which is the theoretical limit for speed code 4. Do y'all think that the speed code is already set at 4, or is this 19mph achievable under speed code 3 and the beefier motor?

I don' want to bother trailoring it to the nearest dealer just for them to tell me, that's all she's got!

Thanks!
RXLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 5HP motor speed maxed?

I originally upgraded my 2006 Precedent with that very motor and immediately got to 24mph on good batteries and stock controller with code 4.

Just so happens, this morning I asked TahoeDawg (BGW sponsor) via email about that very motor and installing it on an Excel cart with code 4. His reply was that I would not get the same increase in speed with an Excel cart. I don't know what year the Excel system was introduced. What is your cart serial number? If it begins with PH it is Excel, if PQ than is IQ cart. That will tell you. If your cart is an Excel, that may explain the lack of speed.

However, if you have a Curtis controller, then maybe the condition of your batteries and all of the cables is a problem or possibly other electrical issues like MCOR.

I liked the motor, but with stock controller, you get top end speed increase with a loss of torque, especially at the bottom of a small but steep hill.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I also have the same motor. My cart is lifted and has a 350 amp Curtis controller. Once you get moving it has lots of torque, but like pingeye3 said starting off under heavy load it just don't want to move. I'm getting 26+ mph on level ground. Also runs strong up hills as long as you are moving good when you start up them. Maybe a 500 amp controller would help at start up on hills. I'm happy with what I have just watch to not stop an steep hills.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
RXLuke
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for your input very much!! I was used to a 5 year old pack on the 97 DS that climbed about 6-8 mph up a hill with 2 folks and a toddler. The new carts torque is still worlds better, even if some was lost on the upgrade.

I have 4 y.o. Strong Trojans that hold around 50.5 after charge. (4 12V). I have ordered a rear seat and will put the locking dash conversion on as well. The cart is in great condition otherwise and if I keep 3/4 of this performance after adding a ~75lb seat kit and adding a rear passenger I'll be too happy! I know that I won't get max torque and performance but I can cruise around the neighborhood to the pool a few years before they go kaput. Based on your opinion, do you think that with my older pack and stock controller that I'm probably already at code 4? Also, it is 100% IQ and not excel. PQ serial prefix

You mention that you lost torque with your upgrade? I just can't imagine this thing having much more capability than it does... although my tune may change with the additional rear passenger.

P.s. threw this voltmeter on when I got home this evening!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1407.jpg (53.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1405.jpg (155.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
...Once you get moving it has lots of torque, but like pingeye3 said starting off under heavy load it just don't want to move...
Not trying to be a PITA, but isn't this the very definition of torque? "A twisting force that tends to cause rotation" i.e. starting the tires rolling from a dead stop.

Reason I ask is because I have a steep hill I need to climb with up to 4 people on the cart. At times I need to stop mid hill, then start up again. Stock CC DS IQ with 20 inch tires does it just fine. If I needed to back down that hill (due to the $$$ upgrades promising more torque) that could put people in dangers way.

So is all of this talk about how great the torque is on these motors and the upgraded controllers that power them just coming from flatlanders who like the feel of being pushed back in the seat when they hit the pedal as they roll down the paved street, to me that's not really true torque, but horsepower.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I guess it's a matter of how you look at torque. You are correct starting off on a hill and spinning the wheels is torque. But holding speed going up that hill is also. My PQ motor would spin the wheels starting up a hill, on grass. But would be slow going up. The motor I have now will not start out from mid hill. But if I start at the bottom it will move very quickly all the way up the hill.

That my be the hp.

BTW on edit, I'm from eastern ky. We have a few hills
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

^^^he's right. Those hills in Eastern Kentucky are called the Appalachian Mountains by most folks outside of Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
RXLuke
Getting Wild

Club Car

I feel the same problem as our Kentucky colleague has. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, a subsection of the Appalachian mountain trail. I will only use the cart for driving on paved roads and around the yard, but torque has a big impact on our daily use compared to those in midland America and North and South Carolina, as they are mostly flat.

As a major car guy, I can give you a very good analogy of torque vs. horsepower. Torque is how well the engine applies the horsepower to the road. If you take your foot of your cars gas pedal, it moves forward. That is the definition of torque. Your car's ability to move its mass with ease. The higher the torque foot pounds the more efficiently the car moves from a stop. This is why the big A$$ trucks have hundreds and hundred of pounds of torque, to move heavy loads. Horsepower does not do this. Horsepower only comes into play at high rpm. That's why a Bugatti Veyron needs 400 MORE horsepower in the 'sport' version to go just 10mph faster. Granted that 10 is from 250 to 260 mph, which with drag and resistance is like driving through syrup.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Plus electric motors have all of their torque instantly as soon as you hit the go pedal.
Whereas internal combustion engines need to rev to achieve their torque.

Toyota has just unleashed several prototype electric tractor trailers to work the Port of Los Angeles docks.

This video of a "drag" race with a conventional diesel tractor trailer is awesome.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/23/t...ag-race-video/
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
RXLuke
Getting Wild

Club Car

Hey gang,

Took the wife out for a spin, and when I'd give it the full throttle from dead stop... shutter shutter boom we go. This is the beginning of the end of the MCOR, right? Didn't have that on the DS m, just the V glide system. How much are these bad boys and can I easily replace it? I'm a family handyman and don't back down from anything, but I'm not too good with electricity. If it's wires on, wires off, check for 50 volts the I'm good.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car