lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
bradpinkston
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad OBC Question

I'm seeing an issue with a 2011 Club Car Precedent. I'm thinking it has to be a bad controller, or more likely an OBC.

Symptoms are that when I turn on the key, I don't see anything register on the battery meter. The reverse buzzer does turn on when put into reverse, but there is no movement when pushing the accelerator.

There is also no response from the speed sensor to automatically stop the cart when rolling it.

I'm a novice when testing this stuff out, but not a complete newbie with carts and electrical systems. If anyone has ideas to help me out, please let me know.
bradpinkston is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
bradpinkston
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Bad OBC Question

Can someone help me identify this OBC?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l263eeoetbpgl2j/OBC.jpg?dl=0

Would recommendation be to replace the OBC, or to bypass it and buy a different battery charger?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is not the OBC as a bad OBC would also prevent the reverse buzzer from working.

It sounds more like the controller except for the "battery meter" not working with the key switch.

What kind of battery meter do you have and how is it connected to the cart?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
bradpinkston
Not Yet Wild

The meter is a LED bar. It looks as though it is factory. It is not connected directly to the battery pack. According to some wiring diagrams I’ve seen it runs into the OBC. I’ll need to verify that wiring though.

Should I try bypassing the OBC to test it, or are you certain it isn’t the OBC?

Any advice on testing the controller?
Old 12-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

If the buzzer is turning on, the OBC isn't the problem. The OBC provides power to the controller. If the controller wasn't powered up, the buzzer wouldn't work. I'm still somewhat shocked as to why the battery meter won't work. Pull the center dash panel out and inspect the 9 pin connector where the dash harness plugs into the wire harness. The battery meter on a Precedent (If connected to the factory battery meter wiring) will be illuminated anytime the car is in the RUN position. I'm wondering if you don't have a bad connection in that connector.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
bradpinkston
Not Yet Wild

I'm more concerned with the cart not moving at all than I am with the battery meter.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpinkston View Post
I'm more concerned with the cart not moving at all than I am with the battery meter.
I understand that, but the two could be related to the same issue. If there's no power to the meter, there may be no power to other crucial components as well.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
bradpinkston
Not Yet Wild

Gotcha. I tested the voltage under the dash. 51.8V to the buzzer when in reverse, 51.8 to the switch.

There are 3 leads on the battery guage. 1 black negative and two red positive. The two positive register as 51.8V.

All this was tested using ground to bat #6.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your issue could actually be caused by a bad sonic-weld split in the negative wire coming from Controller pin #3, It would cause all of those symptoms.

Assuming the dash meter black wire is connected to the black/yellow stripe wire and you have an Excel cart (PH serial number):

Put your positive meter probe on pack positive battery post and the negative probe on that black wire on the back of the meter and see if you get 51.8v.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
bradpinkston
Not Yet Wild

I was testing just that actually. There is no negative getting to the meter up front.

Where is the controller pin you're talking about? Is this a fried controller?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car