lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default converted 48 volt CC Precedent LED light kit - which kit?

Hi again,

So I'm planning on doing the 6x8 volt tub saw conversion on my 4x12 06 Precedent over the winter. Im also looking at putting one of those plug and play LED bumper light kits w/ tails. I noticed there were different kits for the different years of Precedents. It seems the 4x12 volt is one kit and the 8x6 volt is another. Seeing as I'm converting from a 4x12 to a 6x8 would I simply order the latter or is the "plug and play" not going to be the case given that I'm changing the battery configuration? I assume the 6x8 version of the kit has some kind of voltage converter? Are there other factors involved that I might be missing?

Thanks again for all the help folks!

- Gazoo
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
sminsc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: converted 48 volt CC Precedent LED light kit - which kit?

I would check with David at Revolution Golf Cars. I believe he can steer you in right direction.
sminsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The only difference is that the kit for the 6x8 setup includes a "bucket harness". The earlier Precedents were pre-wired for lights and included light wiring in the main wire harness. When you install the factory 6x8 volt conversion kit you install a new wire harness that does not include the factory wiring. This is the same harness that the 2008.5 and newer cars come with. On these newer cars, and converted cars, you will need to add the "bucket harness" for your lights since the light wiring is no longer in your main harness.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The only difference is that the kit for the 6x8 setup includes a "bucket harness". The earlier Precedents were pre-wired for lights and included light wiring in the main wire harness. When you install the factory 6x8 volt conversion kit you install a new wire harness that does not include the factory wiring. This is the same harness that the 2008.5 and newer cars come with. On these newer cars, and converted cars, you will need to add the "bucket harness" for your lights since the light wiring is no longer in your main harness.
Thanks, Dave. The conversion I was planning on doing was the "almost free" conversion (Driver33b) where the original tub gets "tweaked" to fit the added batteries. I looked into the factory tub kit but the local club car dealer here didn't have it and he wasn't much help either. So all that to say is I will still have the original wiring harness of the 06 (4x12). How would I proceed in this case?
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Thanks, Dave. The conversion I was planning on doing was the "almost free" conversion (Driver33b) where the original tub gets "tweaked" to fit the added batteries. I looked into the factory tub kit but the local club car dealer here didn't have it and he wasn't much help either. So all that to say is I will still have the original wiring harness of the 06 (4x12). How would I proceed in this case?
In this case, I would replace the OBC to the newer version, or get a different charger that didn't use the OBC. If you leave the old 12V OBC in the cart it's not going to charge the 8V pack correctly. As for the lights, get the factory style 48 to 12 Volt reducer that plugs into the existing factory lighting harness. Under the seat, you'll run the 10 gauge blue wire near your solenoid to the main positive battery post to feed the light circuit. The light kit should come with about a 2 foot long section of wire with either a fuse or a circuit breaker in it. You will use that piece to make your connection to the battery pack.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
In this case, I would replace the OBC to the newer version, or get a different charger that didn't use the OBC. If you leave the old 12V OBC in the cart it's not going to charge the 8V pack correctly. As for the lights, get the factory style 48 to 12 Volt reducer that plugs into the existing factory lighting harness. Under the seat, you'll run the 10 gauge blue wire near your solenoid to the main positive battery post to feed the light circuit. The light kit should come with about a 2 foot long section of wire with either a fuse or a circuit breaker in it. You will use that piece to make your connection to the battery pack.
Thanks again, Dave! I gather the newer OBC is the more cost effective way to go? Or maybe buy a new charger and sell my Powerdrive 3 and the now useless OBC?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
So looking at that Precedent head/tail kit online - it all looks pretty much plug and play with all the connectors including the factory 48 to 12 reducer which all plugs into the cart harness in the dash. The one kit piece I see which I don't quite get is that length of blue wire with the circuit breaker. Are you saying that wire w/breaker length is run from the 48 volt pack positive to that orphan blue spade connecter near the solenoid?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
So looking at that Precedent head/tail kit online - it all looks pretty much plug and play with all the connectors including the factory 48 to 12 reducer which all plugs into the cart harness in the dash. The one kit piece I see which I don't quite get is that length of blue wire with the circuit breaker. Are you saying that wire w/breaker length is run from the 48 volt pack positive to that orphan blue spade connecter near the solenoid?

I'm not sure what light kit you're looking at. However, on a gen1 bucket with four 12v batteries you'll need that blue wire to draw power from the battery pack and connect it to the blue wire near the solenoid. On a gen2 2008.5 and newer, there are so many different light kits it's hard to tell you whether you'll need that wire or not. Lots of them have a blue pigtail on the bucket harness where you'll connect that wire. Others have a wire on the bucket harness long enough to go to the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, Tahoe! The light kit and reducer I was looking at was for a gen 1 (4x12). I figured that even with my carved up battery tub that will be housing the new 6x8's, the lighting kit should be aligned with my actual 2006 Precedent so that everything remains plug and play up front (I didn't do a factory tub/harness conversion). The only concern was the fact that my cart no longer has 12 volt batteries - so I wasn't sure if that would be cause for concern. But I guess if I'm going to be using the plug and play Precedent reducer and lights made for the gen 1 then it should stand to reason that I use that included length with breaker to feed 48 volts into the blue wire near solenoid. Just out of curiosity, where's the negative in this scenario?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

That will work good. The negative is already plugged in for you. It's the little yellow bullet connector that plugs into the pigtail off of the B- post of the controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car