lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #21
BGoat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: How Harsh is Cold Weather on Batteries?

36 volt V-glide. Using Lester charger that came with cart. I have only done 2 quick voltage measurements, once just to verify the charger was working the first time I used it, 44. something volts if I recall correctly, then 47. something another time, again if I recall correctly.
BGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #22
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
So at 20ºF, the normal 59.3v @ 77º F bulk charge for 24 cells should reach: 59.3 + (77-20) * 0.0028 * 24 = 63.13v
Sergio,

Great explanation why lead acid batteries are affected by cold temperature

My experience is the same as you explained in cold weather ... my static pack voltage is not affected by cold temperature (full charge remains at 51.7v), but the voltage drop when running the cart increases substantially as the temperature decreases, run time is reduced and the cart feels "sluggish".

Are any modern chargers temperature compensated to automatically adjust the charge voltage based on the ambient temperature?

Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #23
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is about the battery (ideally internal) temperature, not the outside temperature.

Some charging systems do have temperature probes on the batteries to monitor the temperature and use the information to adjust their algorithym.

Typically the chargers algorithm will allow the voltage to rise depending on the feedback is getting from its calculations (dv/dt or otherwise), that is why You read the top voltage can vary from 60v to 64v.

The point was that the lower temperature reduces the chemical reaction rates inside the battery, both for charging and for discharging.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #24
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Sergio - Makes sense ... thanks again
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car