lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
parsonj
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default OBC or charger problem?

My Club Car is an 09 Excel I2 acquired a few months ago. Serial #PH0936-050833. Charger model 17930. Recently replaced battery pack hoping it would solve problem. Behaving same way. Charger clicks on after short delay when plugged in, 15amps, as it should. Charger runs for a while, clicks off-not sure how long, 30 mins maybe. (For the first too many uses I assumed the charger was doing it's job and stopping after full charge, I have discovered that wasn't the case) Amber battery light 30 seconds on 10 seconds off. If I reset with tow switch the red indicator light shows full charge. Yellow light goes out. After operating a short while (less than an hour) it's obvious I didn't get a full charge. Had to tow it home. Got 52.3 volt readings during charging. Battery pack 48.6 w/o charging. I understand the options for OBC bypass and charger troubleshooting. For time sake, where do you think I should start?
parsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: OBC or charger problem?

Make sure there is only 1 negative cable and that it goes through the OBC.

Your symptoms can be caused if someone ran a second negative cable around the OBC.

If that is OK You will need to check the max voltage reached while charging (before the charger turns OFF).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
parsonj
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK. Finally got some time to focus on this ClubCar. There is no second negative bypassing OBC. On the first cycle just before charger clicks off in less than 30 minutes voltage reaches 54.4 Volts. I manually recycled charger by unplugging and replugging in a few times and got to over 56 Volts but charger still cuts out in less than 30 minutes and won't come back on. Amber warning light still indicates charging was interrupted. Again, the question is, in someone's opinion is it Charger or OBC?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you go with the assumption that it is a bad charger and buy a DPI charger you can't go wrong because with the DPI it eliminates the OBC. Plus you have a far better charger than the OEM charger.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
If you go with the assumption that it is a bad charger and buy a DPI charger you can't go wrong because with the DPI it eliminates the OBC. Plus you have a far better charger than the OEM charger.
Not meaning to hijack but what purpose does the OBC serve once you go with a DPI charger? Can it be removed altogether?
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
parsonj
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

A new DPI charger was the direction I was leaning. Thanks for the nudge!
Old 02-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

parsonj; Just in case you haven't noticed. Be sure you order the new DPI Gen IV charger don't buy the older model. They are about the same price.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gazoo; The OBC serves no purpose with a DPI charger. It can be removed or left in place.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
parsonj
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks! I did buy the Gen 4 DPI. The manual didn't include my battery pack, but I got a very quick reply from DPI Power (kudos to them) on which of the 32 modes to use. All is well! I was working on the OBC bypass and discovered that the negative from the charging plug receptacle had already been cut and spliced directly to the #6 battery negative. It had been hidden in the wire wrap the whole time! The dealer who sold me this used cart included an old PowerDrive charger - so I assumed . . . Well, this experience and other terrible service experiences with my diesel XRT at my Club Car dealer . . . I have now become an expert on maintenance and repair on both the diesel and electric. I have also completed a motor, solenoid, and controller upgrade on this bad boy--It is now my stealth ranch tour vehicle! Photos to follow in another thread. This site and you guys have been an immense help! Thanks!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Great News! Now drive it like you stole it!!
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car