lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
kuntryboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Best tires for high speeds

Just picked up a new cart that I'm building for my parents. It's a club car that will end up with a 500 amp controller and high speed motor. It should have a top speed of over 40mph when complete and this isn't my first build. I have had a cart before that I rebuilt to go this speed and had the xtrails tires on it. I wasn't happy with the amount of vibration at high speeds and found it difficult to balance these 23" tires. I did run high pressure in the tires and that did help but still would like a more friendly tire for this build as my parents will use it to get around town.

I'm thinking about a 4" or 6" lift and want a road friendly tire that can do light off-road. Really any turf friendly tire will do although this thing will never see a golf course. It will spend most of its time on the streets and hopping the occassional curb for parking. Will the goodyear double eagle 22" tires fit this bill or what do you think.

It's been about four years since my last build so please let me know what's out there. Thanks in advance
kuntryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Best tires for high speeds

I'm thinking if your new build will do 40 miles an hour, throw the lift kit idea in the trash. Lifted carts are NOT stable at that speed no matter what tires are on it.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
kuntryboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
I'm thinking if your new build will do 40 miles an hour, throw the lift kit idea in the trash. Lifted carts are NOT stable at that speed no matter what tires are on it.
I appreciate that advice. I am thinking of doing that or just doing a much lower lift. Just want them to be able to hop curbs without an issue. So any advice on which tires?
Old 06-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I don't think I would drive a cart at those speeds with even a 4" lift. I think some sort of DOT approved street tire would be better. Also, at 40 mph don't forget 4 wheel brakes, stock brakes will be useless and downright scary. Not sure if you've ever driven in a cart that fast (I haven't) but even at 30-33mph which I have is scary! Make sure you have all your safety measures in place before going that fast. Remember these were originally built to go 12mph on a golf course. I don't mean to discourage you, who doesn't like to go fast right?? I just want to make sure you are safe about it.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Check with these guys http://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/

They are a site sponsor here and can help give you some tire advice for sure...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm thinking an automotive type tire on 13 or 14 inch wheels. Less sidewall height should equal better stability.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
kuntryboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
I'm thinking an automotive type tire on 13 or 14 inch wheels. Less sidewall height should equal better stability.
Thanks....I appreciate that.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
kuntryboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
I don't think I would drive a cart at those speeds with even a 4" lift. I think some sort of DOT approved street tire would be better. Also, at 40 mph don't forget 4 wheel brakes, stock brakes will be useless and downright scary. Not sure if you've ever driven in a cart that fast (I haven't) but even at 30-33mph which I have is scary! Make sure you have all your safety measures in place before going that fast. Remember these were originally built to go 12mph on a golf course. I don't mean to discourage you, who doesn't like to go fast right?? I just want to make sure you are safe about it.
I appreciate that but yes I have driven one capable of that speed for pobably about 5 years. Given I usually kept it around 35 mph on the streets and it did just fine. Putting more pressure in the tires helps tremendously with the tires being unbalanced. But I am simply looking for a tire that will have more DOT capability and balance better.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
kuntryboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Check with these guys http://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/

They are a site sponsor here and can help give you some tire advice for sure...
Thanks... I'll definitely give them a call!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
kuntryboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
That's one reason I'm thinking about ditching the lift. It's a CE anyways so the tires already seam a little larger stock. It's a 2008 Club Car CE made in the 22nd week. The previous owner said it was a little faster than the course carts at the country club it came from but I'm thinking that's because of the larger tires.

Tags
club car, fast, high speed, tires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car