lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
namyot11
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Solenoid issues

I was helping someone out with a 1987 resistor cart today. The number one solenoid was bad, which I know is the master solenoid, so we replaced it and the cart ran fine for about 24 hours and the master solenoid went bad again. Now we went ahead and replaced that Master solenoid again and in running it on jack stands noticed that the number two solenoid was getting really hot. Not sure why this is happening but I don't want to burn up any more solenoids. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
namyot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Solenoid issues

Are you using aftermarket solenoids?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
namyot11
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

The new one that was used was aftermarket but I don't know about the ones that were already in the cart.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

They're probably all about the same age. If one failed, the others probably aren't far behind it. If they're all old and worn out then it's very possible that the internal contact that's made when they click is not very strong. A weak internal connection can definitely result in heat. I would replace the remaining solenoids with OEM solenoids and inspect all wiring throughout the system for frayed ends or corroded terminals. Repair any bad wiring you may see. If you do that I think your problem will go away.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
namyot11
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for the reply. I did check all the wiring, the battery cables were new, all other connections are clean and tight. I did find that the cable from FNR that should have gone to battery #4 positive for 18 volt reverse was instead attached to battery #1 positive. I changed that but otherwise it all looked good. I will look into changing out all the solenoids.

Is it also possible that the micro switch for the #2 solenoid may be live all the time? I hear all the switches click as I push the pedal.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

If you hear 5 clicks then they're working like they're supposed to. If one was live all the time you'd only hear 4 clicks.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
namyot11
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Ok, thanks, just a thought.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
namyot11
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Just to follow up on this thread, the cart was run as is until the #2 solenoid that was getting hot welded shut and the cart ran by itself just by turning the key on. We replaced all the solenoids and the cart returned to the same condition with the #2 solenoid still getting hot. Then we opened up the microswitch box. As it turned out, the alignment of the switches was off, causing the cam to engage the #1 and 2 switch to be on all the time. Since we had it all apart we replaced all the switches, after all they were 30 years old. Put everything back together and the cart runs like new.

Never would have checked those switches but the first and second click were almost simultaneous. Who woulda thunk it!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car