lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Smramoscad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car DS ( need more speed )

Can this motor go faster than 18 mph? If so what Exactly do I need to purchase. Thank You. It has 4 Trojan Battery T-1275 12V/150Ah (4 Pack, 48V)

Here is a photo of the motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180705_100312.jpg (205.6 KB, 0 views)
Smramoscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS ( need more speed )

If it's a IQ it might be as simple as a speed magnet.

Edit:A Google search states it is a IQ motor. So a speed magnet will work. Bad news is that appears to be a GE motor which makes it a little more complicated. But not impossible. Order from Revolution Golf Carts because some off brands are not reliable.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Smramoscad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
If it's a IQ it might be as simple as a speed magnet.

Edit:A Google search states it is a IQ motor. So a speed magnet will work. Bad news is that appears to be a GE motor which makes it a little more complicated. But not impossible. Order from Revolution Golf Carts because some off brands are not reliable.
Thanks WalterM6,
What motor/controller would you recommend to increase the speed of this 48 Volt Club Car DS to 24 mph but retain the low end torque
?
or do I just need to buy another Cart? lol
Old 07-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Club Car DS ( need more speed )

Do you live in flatlands NC or mountains NC. Flatland/seashore NC might be as simple as a Plum Quick bandit or a speed magnet. I'm on the other side of the NC mountains in East TN and I have an AMD 7144 with Alltrax 500A Controller. Not necessarily recommending the AMD but any other 7 or 8 HP high speed motor will get the job done. But I do recommend the Alltrax controller.

All of that was about driving on paved roads. If your talking about offroad or a hunting cart That's a whole other story. I'll let somebody else answer that.
Quote:
do I just need to buy another Cart? lol
No, The DS is a work horse and it has the IQ drive system so it is easily upgradeable and reliable. You just have to sprinkle a little money on them, every now and then.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #5
Smramoscad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Do you live in flatlands NC or mountains NC. Flatland/seashore NC might be as simple as a Plum Quick bandit or a speed magnet. I'm on the other side of the NC mountains in East TN and I have an AMD 7144 with Alltrax 500A Controller. Not necessarily recommending the AMD but any other 7 or 8 HP high speed motor will get the job done. But I do recommend the Alltrax controller.

All of that was about driving on paved roads. If your talking about offroad or a hunting cart That's a whole other story. I'll let somebody else answer that.

No, The DS is a work horse and it has the IQ drive system so it is easily upgradeable and reliable. You just have to sprinkle a little money on them, every now and then.
I live in a community with a lot of steep hills. All roads are paved. So I definitely need to retain my torque. You mentioned that GE motors are more complicated using the speed magnet. I went to Revolution Golf Cars website and saw where they have a speed magnet especially for the GE motor. What else would be needed exactly going the speed magnet route?

Also, I have the stock wheels and tires. Is it true that larger diameter tires will increase speed?

Ok, went back to Revolution Golf Cars website and read what some folks said about the GE motor speed magnet installation. Everyone mentioned how difficult it was to remove the old speed magnet from speed sensor on the GE motor. Most said that they broke the stock magnet during the removal process.

Is this what you meant by more complicated?

Thanks for your help! :)
Old 07-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #6
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

The magnet has a metal ring that is pressed on to the armature shaft end.
It's not on real hard and many have removed them but they may break in the process.

Do not remove the two screws! These hold the bearing retainer to the end cap.

When installing size the correct socket so that it fits snug up to the metal ring
and tap easily until magnet metal ring is just flush with the shaft end.
Do not tap on the magnet material or it will break.

Second pick shows magnet removed.
Magnet is item #18 in the exploded view.

This guy made a easy removal tool for this but you can try other options to pry the ring off.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ce-result.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf-Cart-High-Speed-GE-Motor-Magnet-chip_57.jpg (31.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GE Motor.jpg (25.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg electric_motor1.jpg (99.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170611_113230.jpg (357.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170619_185624.jpg (301.2 KB, 0 views)
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Smramoscad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystar57 View Post
The magnet has a metal ring that is pressed on to the armature shaft end.
It's not on real hard and many have removed them but they may break in the process.

Do not remove the two screws! These hold the bearing retainer to the end cap.

When installing size the correct socket so that it fits snug up to the metal ring
and tap easily until magnet metal ring is just flush with the shaft end.
Do not tap on the magnet material or it will break.

Second pick shows magnet removed.
Magnet is item #18 in the exploded view.

This guy made a easy removal tool for this but you can try other options to pry the ring off.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ce-result.html
RayStar57 thank You for this Treasure Chest full of information with diagrams and photos...tips everything. I'm gonna do it!
Thank You again for all of the info and engineering
( the homemade claw tool ) :)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
Smramoscad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just pulled the trigger on the Speed Magnet for the GE Motor over @ Revolution Golf Cars!
Studied up on all this great installation information and now ready to get it done! :)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

18mph? i think you already have the speed magnet

with the speed magnet you lose the regen braking, down hill speeds will definitely increase :D
paint can lid tool works well to get the magnet off after the inner fender is removed (2 bolts)

bigger tires will increase speed at a loss of torque
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
Smramoscad
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
18mph? i think you already have the speed magnet

with the speed magnet you lose the regen braking, down hill speeds will definitely increase :D
paint can lid tool works well to get the magnet off after the inner fender is removed (2 bolts)

bigger tires will increase speed at a loss of torque
my bad it runs like 14-15 mph now level and down hill. around 8 mph uphills ....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car