lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Foscho88
Not Yet Wild

Default More speed or more torque? What’s the deal?

Hey guys, so I got this cart handed down from my father in law. I had some new batteries, lift kit, wheels and tires installed

The cart is running great and we really enjoy having it in the family. But now we all want more....speed or power?

Cart runs flat ground about 14-15 mph. Depending on the hills it climbs 8-10 mph. Down hill it will get into the low 20’s.

Ideally would like something around 20 mph flat and 15 uphill’s

I checked out the motor and it has a 3.10 HP motor currently.

I have heard a lot about revolution carts and their products but I wanted to hear what has worked best for you guys.

Is stock motor/ upgraded controller or stock controller / upgraded motor better?

Obviously, I would love to do both but i will have to take this project one step at a time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Foscho88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: More speed or more torque? What’s the deal?

You will need a motor and controller with 2 AWG cables throughout since you have a series cart. Get with Scotty at cartsunlimited.net or David at revolutiongolfcars.com and tell them your needs. You can’t go wrong with them!

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Motor alone will not give you what you're looking for, especially with oversized tires. I recommend an Admiral MOT-A1 motor, Alltrax 400 or 500 amp SR controller, heavy duty F&R switch, heavy duty solenoid (200a for 400amp controller and 400a for 500 amp controller, heavy duty cable set (4 gauge for 400 amp controller and 2 gauge for 500 amp controller)

Speed will be the same with the Alltrax 400 vs the 500, but the 500 will provide you with more torque.

Upgrading your controller and leaving the factory GE motor on this cart is going to result in premature motor failure. The GE motor in the DS series cars has small brushes that can not take long term abuse from a higher amp controller such as the Alltrax.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would upgraded the motor first. 7-10 HP speed motor, not torque. On second thought do the cables first #2awg then the motor. If your still not happy or just want to see what the the controller will for you replace the controller. Alltrax of course.
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cheapest power upgrade would be some 2 ga wires and a Plum Quick Bandit motor. You will not need any other changes unless you want more torque. That should get you into the 23-24 mph range on flat surfaces, but will not add torque, so hills will still be an issue. Later in the budget, get an Alltrax 400 amp controller and you will get more torque and a speed boost into the high 20"s, around 27 to 28 mph ....
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Dannyre,

A Bandit motor can be a great upgrade on some carts, but a series cart with a GE motor isn't going to result in the Bandit that he's looking for. As we all know, a Bandit is a re-worked factory motor. When Plum Quick reconfigures our factory motors they perform much better than stock but they still have the same internals as far as strength and longevity are concerned. A Bandit GE motor would still have the tiny brushes and wouldn't be able to take the increased amperage of the Alltrax. A Bandit AMD/ADC motor is a totally different situation.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
Dlab
Gone Wild

Pretty sure that’s a resistor coil cart.........You’ll need to convert it to a controller setup before you can really upgrade much. I did it, and don’t regret it. Scotty B/ Carts Unlimited makes a nice kit to get you on your way...
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 AM   #8
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

He has a 48v Powerdrive Charger so it’s not a resistor cart. It’s a 48v series cart I believe.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
Pretty sure that’s a resistor coil cart.........You’ll need to convert it to a controller setup before you can really upgrade much. I did it, and don’t regret it. Scotty B Carts Unlimited makes a nice kit to get you on your way...
Look at the PD1 charger on the floorboard and the round pigtail plug - that is a dead giveaway that its a 48v controller cart with an OBC and 95-2001 vintage.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Dannyre,

A Bandit motor can be a great upgrade on some carts, but a series cart with a GE motor isn't going to result in the Bandit that he's looking for. As we all know, a Bandit is a re-worked factory motor. When Plum Quick reconfigures our factory motors they perform much better than stock but they still have the same internals as far as strength and longevity are concerned. A Bandit GE motor would still have the tiny brushes and wouldn't be able to take the increased amperage of the Alltrax. A Bandit AMD/ADC motor is a totally different situation.
Mine is a AMD core that I bought from them, and I am quite pleased. I also have a Alltrax 400 as well, and the torque increase was quite nice. Thanks for the info Dog...
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car