lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #1
mcneyens
Not Yet Wild

Default Do I need to upgrade my motor

Most everything I read is about getting the most out of your cart. My question is a little different. I think my setup is great and I’ve reached my potential with a stock motor, but what am I missing?

I’m running a 2012 stock gear ratio and stock motor club car precedent. It’s lifted with 22” tires. I’ve upgraded the controller, solenoid and cables worth the Alltrax 500AmpXCT/400AmpSol/2AWG. Last weekend I ripped out the batteries and rear kit and replaced with a RoyPow 105ah performance battery and the Max 5 rear kit dropping 100’s of #s in the process. I’m limiting the controller to 300 AMP output and speed limiting to 6000 rpm’s and I can feel it when I hit a max speed which this site calculated around 30 mph.

Before upgrading the battery I struggled on the hills in my neighborhood (many of them) and thought I needed a torque motor, hence the reason for the huge controller upgrade. Now I’m powering through the hills and it’s laughable.

So here’s my question….

Do I need a new motor? Are there benefits I’m missing by not upgrading to a FISP or Admiral? I thought I read the FISP max rpm is also 6000. So am I running my stock motor too hard with these settings and it’s just a matter of time before I blow up my stock motor? I read many times on this site the stock can handle 6000rpm just limit amps which I did.

Thanks all in advance to the brain trust that is this site.
mcneyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
97ccds-custom
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Do I need to upgrade my motor

I have a very old PlumQuick reconditioned SR motor that I'm hoping will have new life if I can swap the heavy Trojan batteries (63 x 6 = 378 lbs) with a RoyPow pack (~95 lbs) some day. Right now I get plenty of speed and torque up hills when it's just me but when 3-4 passengers hop on it's a noticeable drop up the hill. If I can drop the total weight then I really think my motor will be just fine. How can it not make a difference? The weight of the RoyPow pack is no more than two Trojan batteries so it would be like pulling out 4 batteries and shedding over 280 lbs while not losing any power. My batteries are 2 years old, so I'm hoping to get 2-3 more years and see what's out there. At a minimum it will at least offset more weight from my growing kids The lithium choices are nice right now but will certainly be more plentiful, capable and hopefully less expensive in the near future. I've read that Volkswagen group (right behind Toyota as the largest car manufacturer in the world) is making a bet on solid state lithium for their EV technology with even longer range and faster charge times than current EVs.
97ccds-custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
mcneyens
Not Yet Wild

That’s my question is lithium the answer to all problems 🤣 or is there something special about a non stock motor of the stock and high performance are both limited to 6000. If someone tells me a FISP speed might be rated at 6k but can actually do 7k id probably go buy one tomorrow, but all else being equal + lithium , is there a need for a new motor if I’m getting 30 mph with 2 adults + 1 kid?
Old 06-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are fine with your existing motor and setup. Limited to 6000 rpm will prevent damage to it. Reducing the amps as you did is good too.

The reduction in weight has increased performance. The lithium is zero maintenance. You have a win all the way!

With 6000 rpm's being the practical limit on most motors, changing it now will not give you better performance. You could get a motor designed for 7000 rpm and get a speed increase.

Ask yourself this: do you really feel safe going more than 30 mph in a cart designed for half that speed?

I believe you are great where you are right now!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

For what it’s worth my cart is basically stock with lithium. I have stock diameter tires and run around 25mph on my stock motor via gps. I switched briefly to a plum quick bandit and was doing around 29mph on flat pavement, not a huge increase in speed but I wasn’t really looking for that. It did have a bit more oomph from the get go, even with the stock controller. Heavy hills or soft grass where it would slow down to around 15mph before would now pretty easily cruise 20+.

Long story short going to an upgraded motor may not necessarily give you a bunch more speed. But it’s a golf cart. I don’t want to go more than I do now really. Definitely would need more work to steering and brakes past 30. But the torque gain climbing hills and accelerating from a stop with 4 or 5 kids in the cart was certainly welcomed
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

RPMs is RPMs so you will end up with basically the same top speed with any other motor unless you get one with a higher rev limit like one of the Plum Quick speed motors that turns 6500, or a 7,000 rpm motor like Tom mentioned.

What you might gain is better acceleration and better torque on hills. Most Torque type motors still turn 6,000 rpm at top speed, but will get the cart to climb a wall without trouble.

If you’re happy with the power and speed you have, then like others said, no real point upgrading any further. If you feel the need for speed then look into speed motors and a roll cage.
If you just want to pop wheelies, torque motor… and a roll cage
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If you feel the need for speed then look into speed motors and a roll cage.
If you just want to pop wheelies, torque motor… and a roll cage
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #8
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

From my experience with a stock 36 volt cart, first thing I did was the Bandit upgrade. For $275 what did I gain? From seat of the pants, considerably more torque and about 3 mph. Was it worth it? YES! And according to Robby Steen you can spin that motor 6500 PRM. However keep in mind, volts equals speed and more volts equals more RPM. You have experienced added torque with a higher amp controller, amps equals torque. Now with lithium you have probably increased the volts because most of them have more than a fully charged 48 volt LA pack, eliminated voltage sag that lead acid has which has increased your speed and torque. If you're happy with the speed then it sounds like you're interested in more torque. 2 options, bigger torque motor or maybe the economy route of the Bandit for an advertised 25% increase in torque. If you want more speed then spend a lot more money and get a custom motor that has banding. One last consideration, when you increased tire size from 18" to 22" you increased your speed but reduced your torque. You can't have it all unless you have a **** ton of money to spend! Speed Kills!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:03 PM   #9
mcneyens
Not Yet Wild

Laughing out loud reading all the comments. I forgot to mention it’s a 48v cart. I don’t have any need to start wearing a helmet, flame suit or adding a role cage 🤣.

Sounds like I’m not missing anything other than maybe torque and unlocking some potential from my controller. I don’t like the idea of being without my cart for a month+ so I’d probably buy a new torque motor rated at 6000 rpm’s.

Appreciate the feedback.

It’s been a fun journey building out this cart. Now I think I want to sell it and start over 😁
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car