lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
petewilliams
Not Yet Wild

Talking 99 yama g16

Just picked up a 1999 yamaha g16 and it's smoking like a @astard. I still have to pull the motor and look a little further. Does yamaha's have a smoking problem. I thinkin its gasket... I am also lookin to lift this guy and was looking at the jake spindle lifts. I liked theis set up because of the $ and they looked like they were easy to install. I'm not lookin to lift it 8 inched jsut about 4. Also looking to give it a paint job, a little crome and when I get sick of the stock motor drop i na big block(cant tell the wife about that... $) so i'll post the original pic and let you guys know how the build goes.

Thanks for your help

Pete
petewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 99 yama g16

Quote:
Originally Posted by petewilliams View Post
Just picked up a 1999 yamaha g16 and it's smoking like a @astard. I still have to pull the motor and look a little further. Does yamaha's have a smoking problem. I thinkin its gasket... I am also lookin to lift this guy and was looking at the jake spindle lifts. I liked theis set up because of the $ and they looked like they were easy to install. I'm not lookin to lift it 8 inched jsut about 4. Also looking to give it a paint job, a little crome and when I get sick of the stock motor drop i na big block(cant tell the wife about that... $) so i'll post the original pic and let you guys know how the build goes.

Thanks for your help

Pete
Congrates on your new cart First, smoking...Check for high oil level (and smell of gas in the oil), check to see if theres oil in the airbox. Could be as simple as the float stock, gas got into the crankcase raising the oil level and got into the airbox/carb and muffler. That could be an easy fix. Second, lift...Jakes is a great lift, but your car will require the lower control arm lift (not spindle). Lastly , you'd get a real kick out a bigblock, they are truely awsome. Good luck and remember...We all love build pic's
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
petewilliams
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the help. gonna pull apart the carb today. there was fuel in theair cleaner and an oil change wont hurt it. Also will take some pics at my shop and post them.

thanks again

Pete
Old 05-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
petewilliams
Not Yet Wild

I pulled apart the carb today, there was gas and oil all the way up in the air box and the oil was full of gas. I cleaned out the carb but when I put it back together it still smoked. I filled the crankcase with oil and it still smoked. Do you think I need a carb kit with gaskets and float or can I just try to addjust the float... can you adjust the float cause it's plastic and I looked at the float plunger and it wasn't that worn. any insite ???

Thanks
Pete
Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by petewilliams View Post
I pulled apart the carb today, there was gas and oil all the way up in the air box and the oil was full of gas. I cleaned out the carb but when I put it back together it still smoked. I filled the crankcase with oil and it still smoked. Do you think I need a carb kit with gaskets and float or can I just try to addjust the float... can you adjust the float cause it's plastic and I looked at the float plunger and it wasn't that worn. any insite ???

Thanks
Pete
Hopefully, it's just the muffler is full of gas and oil, the more you run it (cross your fingers) it will burn/blow that out. Did you take the spark plug out/turn over the engine to get the gasoil out of the cylinder? We even put the car in nuetral (you can put a 5/16 bolt thru the f/r shifter plate hole and the hole in the mounting plate or jack up the cart or take the drive belt off) and prop something up against the accelerator pedal , to run at low rpm. Run for 5 minutes, stop and let it cool down and repleat till it's cleared out. G16 plastic floats are not adjustable. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
familia racing
Not Yet Wild

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just experienced the same problem and found a ring problem. I have the same year and motor as yours. After removing the head I would see oil coming up through the top of the piston as I rotated the motor.

I had to purchase a one over piston and bore the block. I tried many things prior to making the decision for the motor rebuild but all failed.

Good Luck.

Darrell
familia racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Sounds like you have washed the cylinder with the gas/oil mix and have a stuck oil ring, You will need at least a set of rings.
Measure the cylinder, that will tell you if you can get away with just rings or need a bore.
Check valve stems and face for wear and install valve seals while you're in there.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha