lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #11
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Has anyone ever tried an ATV Silencer or something similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguellich View Post
I am not looking to maximize performance. If my performance stays the same I would be more than happy. I am looking for quieter. I am also looking to mess around and have a little fun tinkering. Whether it works or not, I will have fun goofing with it. Either way you seem to be missing a key point. The stock and less than a year old muffler will remain in the stock location and create the same back pressure it always has. At the end of that 1" outlet I will attach a 1.5" "silencer" The silencer will be a straight through pipe with many holes drilled through it. This will not change the back pressure at all. It will only change the way the sound is distributed when exiting the exhaust.
Sorry if I misunderstood your initial question where you asked about alternate ATV mufflers. I was under the assumption that your muffler swap was away from the standard system, ergo, the additional noise. So, to clarify; You are running a standard exhaust system that is still louder than you prefer to hear ? Is perhaps your K&N intake producing intake roar ? Pretty common on all engines since the intake is not baffled by the air filter canister housing. If that is not the case, perhaps directing your exhaust outlet directly to the ground might help.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #12
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Both of those things are causing issues too. I am also working on a semi-open surround to put over the intake and the silencer will be directed closer to the ground than the muffler currently is. I am going to take my video camera with me this weekend for proof of success or failure.
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I actually went back to a "normal" air cleaner for the same reason (I didn't realize when I posted earlier that you were running an open element-style intake) - a lot of your noise (at least what you personally hear while driving the cart) is likely coming from there

Like I posted, a relatively new air cleaner should be about as quiet as you can get, but good luck with the experimentation and let us know if you come up with a workable silencer setup (never hurts to be too stealthy :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I finally had the time to make the silencer and install it. I used a 6 inch long steel pipe, perforated it with the drill press then rolled stainless steel wool into stainless screen and installed that into the pipe. There is quite a difference in sound. It sounds as quiet as a 4-cycle now. Initial launch power is unaffected as well as top end. I GPS'ed before and after and got the same 21mph. With the 5 or so miles I have driven it I can feel no performance difference at all but I can hear my passengers. Time will tell if it clogs up and begins to hurt performance but as of now the results were better than I hoped for.
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

so you made like a mini glass pack? a perforated pipe wrapped in steel wool inside a larger pipe? any pics? " sounds" like a good idea.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
sdg8569
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

lets see a picture and more details I would love to try it
sdg8569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO