lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
crossram
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Gear change

I have a 98 i think club car AGOO28-905837
I put a Vangard engine in it and taller tires 21.5 inch tall now.
Got it as a kit and a cart place installed it.
the cart does 21 mph plenty of power need more speed ,with the factory 12:1 gears I have coming a set of 6:1 gears. Has anyone done this and could give me instructions or diagram or any tips. Never have had one apart.
Do you take the axel of first at the diff , does it slide right off.
then split the case apart and the gears are there???
Just some tips would help so the job goes easier!
I dont have nay trouble mechanically just trying to not waste a lot of time on it.
crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Gear change

Looks like you have a 2000 model by the serial number?
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you can get a service manual it will give you everything you need......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I did an old one but it was like a 90 the last year with the flathead engine. I dropped the axle out the bottom, good idea to wash it. I stood it up on one wheel and took the case apart (after draining it), swapped some bearings because this one was run dry, slapped it back together but it still made gear noise the gears were damaged. Ended up those gears are the ones for a high speed, so I put those in, put back together second time, back in cart second time. It ran 28gps on the rev limit with stock tires, quite the sleeper, trans was quiet as a mouse. Was a family cart and they sold it. But I don't know what year they changed the gearbox on CC, this one was quite easy the hard part was taking the shackes and all that off....and this guy never washes stuff before he works on it even when I tell him to. Was a dust bomb under there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
crossram
Not Yet Wild

Okay got gears changed piece of cake!
I have a big block kit from cartsplusparts. with the raised car and there new clutchs that it comes with. the primary engages to fast will not take off without engages harshly and jerking the cart. I use it to pull the race car and i need a gentle start not jerky. who would be a good clutch dealer to go to?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

If you bought the kit from CPP... I'd strongly suggest calling them to see if there isn't some sort of adjustment,
or different spring for your drive clutch for a smoother takeoff!
Since CPP is the BB and clutch king, I'm SURE they can help you with that!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Shorter/weaker spring in the primary clutch should help that....right they should know how to set it up. Note a brand new belt can be grabby until it wears in, gets some dust on it, etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
crossram
Not Yet Wild

Okay the gear change helped the clutch a bit. I may have to take apart the primary clutch it is a CV ?? But other issues, I have a Jakes front end 3 inch lift a forward kit so the tires dont hit the fender. But at 30 mph the cart darts back and forth like crazy! It is very hard to keep straight checked all tie rod ends and steering box all is tight. got about 1/4 inch toe in , maybe not enough. Or is there a better front end I can install to keep it safe and straight. We only use it to pull the race car and to go get the race car but need to to handle better then it does. What about a All Sports kit ???
Old 06-15-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Rdavis984
Not Yet Wild

Before you go and buy a new lift kit i would adjust your tires to get rid of your toe in. I have known many people who have lift kits where the tires are not perfectly lined up and they wander all over the road. But the ones who's tires are even can drive right over a pot hole and not even notice it.
Rdavis984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

First off crossram...
You never called CPP on your clutch, did you?
If it's the new 06 clutch, CPP says it's "tunable" to your personal driving conditions,
So... before you get into "tearing it apart" and possibly doing a d...a...f...t..., ( Thanks Chris!)
CALL Tom @ CPP and ask him what you should do FIRST!!! 1-888-861-2640

Second... I agree with Rdavis, you shouldn't have to replace the lift!
If you have a Jake's 3" spindle lift (which I have) The toe-in works best right around 1/8" in,
and there IS a camber adjustment, you still use the stock "eccentric" to adjust your camber,
You'll pretty much have to "max out" the eccentric to get it as close as possible, but it WILL help!

I run 32 mph on 25's and it runs "straight as an arrow"!

Here's the directions for the adjustments:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eccentric.jpg (178.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Alignment 1.jpg (156.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Alignment 2.jpg (119.1 KB, 4 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car