lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #21
dracor
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 400 amp fuse

so it is ok to place the fuse on the positive bat terminal?
dracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracor View Post
so it is ok to place the fuse on the positive bat terminal?
Pos or Neg
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Is there any documentation of failed controllers welding solenoids and burning up the batteries? I would like to see this documentation or please tell us if this is all speculative ?
i honestly can't believe you're trying argue the legitimacy of fusing the main battery pack...

is the CC Service Manual good enough for ya?

from the alltrax case study on the matter:
"The contactor welded closed and the arcing during that
event caused the controller to fail. The welded
contactor could not disconnect and subsequently, the
vehicle burned."

the curtis 1204/1205 user manual recommends fusing at the battery pack. i would venture to assume that every curtis manual mentions fusing the main power circuit.
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welded closed.jpg (193.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg welded.jpg (32.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg welded3.jpg (66.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg welded4.jpg (73.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg welded2.jpg (50.1 KB, 6 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #24
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
i honestly can't believe you're trying argue the legitimacy of fusing the main battery pack...

vehicle burned."

the curtis 1204/1205 user manual recommends fusing at the battery pack. i would venture to assume that every curtis manual mentions fusing the main power circuit.
-sj

I have an even better reason to have the pack fused..... not even to deal with fire or burning anything up... This was a REAL life experience by myself.... So I am speaking with knowledge.....

This situation, run away cart, which can happen in any number of triggers... contactor welded shut, faulty controller, or dog/kid sitting on the gas pedal....

In my case... pulled the cart out for a drive with the dog... forgot my shades so stepped back into the garage... (left the key on and F/R in F)

Another Dog walks by, my dog goes ape ****, jumps off of the seat and right on the gas pedal, cart takes off like a jet.... dog freaked out and froze so full throttle. Cart hits the back of our SUV.

Saving grace, the fuse...

When the cart hit the SUV it was still full throttle and caused an instant stall which pulled a high current situation and instantly blew the fuse...

The fuse, shut the cart down, saved everything in the cart, the contactor, the controller, motor etc, which if it was not fused could have lead to a fire.

All of my carts will have fuses at the pack, cause the dog still wants a ride.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #25
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post

vehicle burned."

-sj
You didn't answer the question that was asked, merely quoted a related incident that has both words in it.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't care what is said, fuses are cheap and i'm gonna use one no mater what controller I use!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not arguing against having a fuse.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What I am trying to do in the face of scare tactic supposition.... is to understand what ability the fuse actually has in the case of a catastrophic controller failure.
I have just gotten off of the phone with a respected control R&D engineer. HE has told me that the controller failure is done in a nanosecond. And fuse cannot react fast enough to keep it from catching fire as it did in this case..... which is evident by the results here. The new line up of SPM controls have 2 improvements in this arena, one is the controllers ability to open the solenoid. The second is a change in the epoxy used, which is much less flammable than the old resin.
The fuse is there in case somebody drops a crowbar or a wrench into the mix. So while a fuse is a good idea, you still better carry a fire extinguisher.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #29
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
What I am trying to do in the face of scare tactic supposition.... is to understand what ability the fuse actually has in the case of a catastrophic controller failure.
I have just gotten off of the phone with a respected control R&D engineer. HE has told me that the controller failure is done in a nanosecond. And fuse cannot react fast enough to keep it from catching fire as it did in this case..... which is evident by the results here. The new line up of SPM controls have 2 improvements in this arena, one is the controllers ability to open the solenoid. The second is a change in the epoxy used, which is much less flammable than the old resin.
The fuse is there in case somebody drops a crowbar or a wrench into the mix. So while a fuse is a good idea, you still better carry a fire extinguisher.
This looks like a good option......
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #30
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
If you drop a crowbar on your battery pack it would probably not blow the fuse.

The fuse is designed to protect the wiring and the component if it draws too much amperage (in this case 400a). If a component won't take the load demand or shorts out internally it usually will smoke first and then maybe burn. As soon as it starts to melt things, the wiring shorts out and takes the fuse out.
If there was no fuse it could continue to supply current until the cables melt, the whole cart is on fire and even the batteries could blow up.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car