lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Cliffbeach491
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Gas club car year and strange electric wiring/rigging set up

Hi everyone. hope someone can shed some light on the cart i just bought. A local long time business had this for sale for a while i think because they had it posted on craigslist in the wrong area so it didnt get seen. anyway i picked it up for $475. runs good and was in nice shape since it was garage kept and not used much. The first thing is i have been trying to figure out the year. the ID plate is missing and no sticker behind the dash.I looked at some of the parts diagrams from golfcartpartsdirect.com and thought it was a 1991 but this has the FE290 motor in it which was started in 1992 but it has the the electric box from a 1991 cart but with the newer style voltage regulator in it.the front nose looks to be a 1993 or up.the motor looks to be the original motor so i was thinking maybe the electric box was changed? any thoughts on this? the second thing and the most strange is the electrical wiring. The owner said that they bought it from a place that got it new and used it as a security patrol car. They added the windshield and metal work. In order to get the cart to start you have to turn on the key, press the gas then flip this switch under your leg that turns on the oil warning light then put it in gear hit the gas easy and it goes.Also its really fast i say it has to do at least 20 mph plus takes off pretty quick too.Does not sound like its over revving. The neutral micro switch on the F&R lever is missing.the first pic is of the cart,The second is where the wires are spliced in with wire nuts on the harness for the switch under my leg. Next to the splice is a factory decal that reads-Light will remain on when service toggle switch is in "SERVICE" postion.there is no switch here.. the third pic is the back of the switch and the fourth is the back of the F&R lever.The fifth is the engine bay. The cable from the electric box to the governor arm has alot of slack in the cable. the metal ball hangs out of the spring plus it only pulls the throttle on the top of the carb a short amount. any clue why this was done? maybe this is why the cart is so quick? Any info would help. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010254.JPG (238.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1010263.JPG (238.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1010265.JPG (237.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1010274.JPG (230.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1010275.JPG (242.0 KB, 26 views)
Cliffbeach491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Gas club car year and strange electric wiring/rigging set up

good luck on the wiring!

I woudl guess it is an older cart by the electric box and the front bumper.

I would think the newer motor was swapped into that cart. also by that wad of wire nuts that are not weather tight! lol

Your forward/reverse switch does not have a run/ service selector on it. my 88 had one of those. it is also metal as where the newer ones are plastic.

It also looks like your gas tank bumps out way over the frame? if so those were the earlier ones. mid 80's sometime. never been able to figure out that gas tank one exactly.

The metal kinda looks like part of a curtis cab enclosure.

is teh front body plastic and the rear fiberglass?
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Cliffbeach491
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi. the front metal enclosure was hand built probaly by the maintenance dept at the plant complex when it was a security patrol unit.I think it also had a custom roof on it at one time. Its a steel frame with sections of sheet metal that appears to had been AC and heating duct like whats used in large commercial buildings. Cut and carefully molded around the body of the cart and assembled with pop rivets. Kinda looks like the old WW2 aircraft. Someone took alot of time and effort to make it,fill in the gaps with bondo and painted it and boy its solid. As for the gas tank from what i was able to find in the parts diagrams . Club car used 3 different types of tanks and set ups on these carts so that is what throws you off. What makes me think the electric box it what was swapped out is that all the parts in it are from a newer electric box and the metal base of the box is still kinda clean and not corroded. The frame that it is attached to is a little bit corroded. Maybe the original plastic box cracked or a solenoid short melted it. The cart body seems to be plastic. Someone did some bodywork on it where the security signs or something was screwed to the sides since i can see the holes from the inside and the bondo but they did a good job you cant even tell from the outside its nice and smooth. i can tell that whoever redid the wiring must have had good knowledge of golf carts and other small industrial carts to figure out how to do this. All the wires were wrapped and have tape on the ends with numbers and letters written on them..
Cliffbeach491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

this is a front bumper for a 93+ cart http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-159...nt-bumper.aspx

this is a bumper for a 92 and earlier http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-225...top-holes.aspx

here is a fnr shifter base, note it is plastic and year? http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/prod...P%20CC2%204864

that box would have originally had a cover on it to keep the elemnets outta it. can you hook a hose to the carb intake? looks as though it will run into the box. also the plastic box would have mounted to the front of the crossmember while an aluminum one mounts to the drivers side frame rail.

my money is that someone had an old cart and a newer one that had an issue. maybe bad frame, or another owner. they swapped all of the parts onto the older cart.

i would have wondered about not having a serial number tag on it?? seems kinda strange.

what color are the glove boxes? earlier ones were tan. they went to black sometime in the 90's, that is if they are still original. the dash centers changed too along with the start key.
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car