lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
streetrodderbn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default What's the difference between a pedal and key start fe350?

Need to rebuild/replace my fe 350ccw in my 1996 transporter 6. I have seen ads for rebuilt pedal start engines and very few key start engines. What's the difference??
streetrodderbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

Default Re: What's the difference between a pedal and key start fe350?

simple, pedal start starts when you hit the go pedal, and the engine stops when youu come off. key start, it starts and has a idle like a regular car.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Nate540
Not Yet Wild

I think he means is there a difference in the engines them self can he use a pedal start in his key start cart. Unfortunately I do not know the answer Sorry but I am sure someone in here knows
Nate540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild

There is no mechanical difference in the engine itself. The changes from key to pedal start would be in the micro switches and possibly a higher idle at the carb.
The engine wiring should also be the same but wired to either the key or the pedal micros. Since you will most likely have to add your own carb and clutch to the rebuilt engine either version should work just fine imo.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
streetrodderbn
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

why do the advertisers say the pedal start engines will not interchange with the key start ones??? I would think they would want to sell the engine if it was the same!! anybody know what the difference is ?????
streetrodderbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Back to your other thread of the same name....

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-fe350ccw.html

Again...I don't know about your 96 CCW FE350, but, almost all of the key start engines (at least that I know of)
have an Automatic Compression Relief valve (ACR) in them.
(The ACR lowers the initial start up compression for easier starting via the key switch)

I saw this thread this a.m., then looked on my CC dealers website, and all he has listed is a CCW pedal start FE350,
NOTHING for a pre-97 key start, but, yet... he has 97+ key start (CW) engines.

I mean no disrespect... but, are you absolutely sure it's not a late model 96 and your existing engine has a counter clockwise rotation?
(right around 96 1/2, Club Car/Kawasaki changed the engine rotation)

Again... no disrespect!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Back to your other thread of the same name....

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-fe350ccw.html

Again...I don't know about your 96 CCW FE350, but, almost all of the key start engines (at least that I know of)
have an Automatic Compression Relief valve (ACR) in them.
(The ACR lowers the initial start up compression for easier starting via the key switch)

I saw this thread this a.m., then looked on my CC dealers website, and all he has listed is a CCW pedal start FE350,
NOTHING for a pre-97 key start, but, yet... he has 97+ key start (CW) engines.

I mean no disrespect... but, are you absolutely sure it's not a late model 96 and your existing engine has a counter clockwise rotation?
(right around 96 1/2, Club Car/Kawasaki changed the engine rotation)

Again... no disrespect!

You're exactly right. All of the Key-Start engines 1997-2011 had Automatic Compression Relief to allow easier starting of the engine. I don't recall if the pre 97 engines had ACR or not. I simply don't see many that old, and especially with a keystart configuration. All of the current engines are the same. They no longer use the ACR feature at all. The ACR became a problem with the introduction of the Carryall 294 and XRT 1500 4x4 vehicles with the Honda V-Twin engine. It took an act of god to make them idle low enough to disengage the clutch, while still allowing the engine to idle smoothly without the ACR kicking in and killing the entire thing. They came out with an ACR removal kit for this vehicle and it drastically improved the idling characteristics of the engine. That's why they incorporated the lack of ACR into even the FE350 and FE400 engines as well. I never understood really why they wanted to add ACR and save the starter so much work on the keystart models. In all actuality, the pedal start models would work the starter harder than these because they stop and go so much more often. Hope this helps.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
fastercarter
Gone Wild

I'm confused. Why would a key start motor require a compression release as opposed to a pedal start I would have thought a pedal start engine would benefit more from the release mechanism due to it's cycles of on and off.

FC
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercarter View Post
I'm confused. Why would a key start motor require a compression release as opposed to a pedal start I would have thought a pedal start engine would benefit more from the release mechanism due to it's cycles of on and off.

FC
I totally agree. But we're not engineers. We are the people who actually know what's going on.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The only thing that I can think of is, then they wouldn't have to run heavier gauge wires to, and from the key switch,
to handle the load of the starting circuit, (I guess maybe that's why they added a relay, and the ACR)

I went back to streets previous posts and saw that his serial # was JG9633-xxxxxx,
33 of 52 weeks? late model? possible CW rotation?
BUT... it ran, and smoked... and yet... street viewed the rotation as CCW!

One thing that's always "thrown me for a loop" is that in 1996/97, Club Car did such a major change,
I guess it was either to be different from the others, or they were just being difficult!

I'm at a loss... but, I thought I'd at least throw my .02 in!

Hope you get it figured out streetrodderbn!

BTW David... thanks!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car