lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
bamainhtown
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 DS smoking, sputtering and loses power

Hey guys,

So, I have an 02 Club Car DS FE290. It starts off running fine for a about 100 yards then suddenly loses power, belts out white smoke and dies. Sits for a couple seconds and does it all again. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filters, cleaned the carb multiple times, checked to make sure the float actually floats. The cart is lifted and I know I had overfilled it, so I drained the oil, replaced the oil filter and oil with a bit less than 1.5 quarts. I took the spark plug out and held my thumb over and it had good compression. I am not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all help.

Jeff
bamainhtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Mishael
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2002 DS smoking, sputtering and loses power

Compression really only matters when you have a plug in, although your method does lean towards your cylinder to be alright but to be completely sure, I'd also just put the plug in and manually crank the engine. For the fe290, it should be hard but not anywhere near impossible for the average person. How is your engine governed? (if it is at all)
Mishael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
hunt4food
Gone Wild

Club Car

your fuel fillters should be replaced. blow down your crank hose and I still think your oil lvl is high
hunt4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamainhtown View Post
Hey guys,

So, I have an 02 Club Car DS FE290. It starts off running fine for a about 100 yards then suddenly loses power, belts out white smoke and dies. Sits for a couple seconds and does it all again. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filters, cleaned the carb multiple times, checked to make sure the float actually floats. The cart is lifted and I know I had overfilled it, so I drained the oil, replaced the oil filter and oil with a bit less than 1.5 quarts. I took the spark plug out and held my thumb over and it had good compression. I am not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all help.

Jeff
you really need to get a compression gage and check it the right way.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Mishael
Not Yet Wild

The only difference between doing it the right way and doing it the cheap way with the plug in is the right way gives you a number, but it doesnt take a $100 tool to tell you of you have no compression.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

When these carts are lifted the motor does not sit level, getting anywhere close to the full line is not recommended, whenever there is slight incline oil dumps and will pour white smoke out of the muffler....recommend draining oil, filling to 1/8 inch under full mark, clean carb out and run cart in neutral till smoke clears...that assuming you have good compression of course.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishael View Post
The only difference between doing it the right way and doing it the cheap way with the plug in is the right way gives you a number, but it doesnt take a $100 tool to tell you of you have no compression.
1st off you can get a nice gage for under 30 bucks......when we try and help someone we try and help them the right way, compression could be anywhere from 0 to say 125lbs......there is a difference, and depending what the compression is that tells me where i might want to start looking for whats going on not just guessing, if your way suits you thats fine............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Mishael
Not Yet Wild

I never thought of it that way. The philosophy I've always had working on engines is that if the simple, quick checks that can be done with minimal tools should be done first, then if those show problems then you move on to more advanced devices and methods. If one of my golf carts in my fleet has trouble starting or won't start at all but the engine turns over, I don't run and grab an ignition gap tester like the manuals and such say to do. I grab a wrench, ground the plug on my valve cover, and check for spark. I don't need a special tool to show me my spark, although that's just an example. When it comes to specific compression, you're right. Nothing can beat a gauge but in a pinch, the hand crank test works perfectly to say you have good, poor, or no compression. Can you quantify the compression without a gauge? No, but the quick check can point one in the right direction of what could be wrong. I don't try to lead people astray with my advice, but when I work and give someone a tip, I won't tell them something I wouldn't do first off before using a tool or method that required advanced knowledge or a purchase for a single use. I don't mean any disrespect when I say all of this either. I don't know everything or even near everything, but if I have a chance to offer help, I'm going to give the best I can.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car