lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
ccDSKF82
Getting Wild
Club Car

Exclamation KF82 RPM limiter: What is the rev limit?

I've been running no governor my 91 CC for a while now and I'm starting to wonder if my rev limiter is working or not. I've pushed the engine far over 5000 rpm according to my tach, and it doesn't seem to likely that the rev limiter would kick in at such a high engine speed. I haven't even reached full rpm yet. After the engine passes 5K it starts to shake like hell, and I usually let off at around 5200-5300 because I feel if I push it any further it's gonna explode into a fiery inferno

Probably due to my lust for speed, I've pretty much blown the rings out (70-80 PSI compression).

If I plan to rebuild the engine instead of swapping it, I'd like to know if I should replace the limiter if it isn't working so I don't rev the piss out of it and risk blowing the thing up, and possibly setting myself on fire, lol.
ccDSKF82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: KF82 RPM limiter: What is the rev limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccDSKF82 View Post
After the engine passes 5K it starts to shake like hell, and I usually let off at around 5200-5300 because I feel if I push it any further it's gonna explode into a fiery inferno
Ya' think?
You understand the KF82 is just an 8 hp engine right?

IF... you were to rebuild the engine and replace the rev limiter, you won't be happy with the speed.

If you really have the need for speed, don't burn that engine up... there are SO many people that could use it!
You could put in a reasonably priced clone or a big block to fulfill the need,
and if you were to sell your KF82, that's a few bucks towards more horse power!

my .02
lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
ccDSKF82
Getting Wild
Club Car

Yeah, not much of an engine built for speed... People ask me what kind of an engine my golf cart has, and my response is always "it's a Kawasaki 340 flathead." and usually their responses are "holy sh**! that things gotta have at least 30 hp!" my response to that is usually "heh... No... Like 7 or 8." I completely agree with you, these engines are rare, and I shouldn't abuse it, but sometimes I can't help myself, heh.
I will start with buying a .50mm piston and re bore the cylinder, and assuming it's not working, a new rev limiter. I run 15w-50 synthetic mobil 1 in the engine, so hopefully that has helped protect the bearings at high rpms. However, i like this engine just for what it is. It's what makes my CC a traditional golf cart!
Soon, I'm going to get larger wheels, and get my drive machined, so that should satisfy my need for speed. Also, assuming valve float on this engine is 5400-5500, I'd assume the limiter kicks in at the high 4000's?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Max rpm according to the manual is 4000rpm. Is your cart lifted with larger tires or are you just running it on stock rubber?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
ccDSKF82
Getting Wild
Club Car

Wow, 4000? My limiter's definitely not working then. My cart is all stock. Standard 18.5" tires on 8" wheels, as well as ride height. But soon, I'm going to get 12" wheels which will probably come with 20" tires or so. I don't take it offroading, I just use it to zip around my town and the local trails (pavement)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car